Re: Shepards

Hugh,

>I think you have put it together. Now the next question (which you can't
>answer - and neither can I at this point)is: Are these English Shepards?
>(through New England?) or Huguenot? In the family, we always thought they
>were Scottish but also wondered if they might be Alsatian because of the
>name of Philip Madison Shepard's medical school "Graefenberg Institute"
>which was the first chartered medical school in Alabama (Dadeville). Philip
>was a graduate of The Medical College of Georgia in Augusta.

They might be Alsatian way back; I don't know.
More recently than that, I would bet on New England,
specifically, I would think they were probably descendants
of Thomas Shepard (1605-1649), educated at Cambridge, England,
lecturer at Earls Colne in Essex, forced out of England by Archbishop Laud,
minister at Cambridge, Massachusetts, and a founder of Harvard College:
 http://www.puritansermons.com/bio/bioshepa.htm

There are other Midway connections with the first church at Cambridge
(at least one Midway minister was minister there later), and Rev. Lord
first minister of the Dorchester, S.C. colony was educated at Harvard.

This book looks like it might have something useful in it:
 A GENEALOGICAL HISTORY OF WILLIAM SHEPARD OF FOSSECUT, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE,
 ENGLAND, AND SOME OF HIS DESCENDANTS. By George L. Shepard. 63 pages, indexed.
 Originally printed at Salem Massachusetts, 1886.

 http://www.genealogy.org/~ajmorris/catalog/0029.htm

It might have some clues to fill in the likely 3 or 4 generations between
his time and that of your James Shepard.

Here are a couple of generations for you:
 http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/conn/rr01/rr01_083.html

>This is a transcript of James Shepard,s will from a book by Carolyn T.
>Moore.
>
>James Shepard (Shepheard), St. Bartholomew's Parish Colleton Co, blacksmith.
>Son: Thomas. Son-in-law: John Roberts, under 21 years. Mentions: al estate
>to said son and son-in-law. Exors: wife, during her widowhood; James Sharp,
>Esq.; son-in-law John Roberts when he arrives at age. Wit: George Johnson,
>Geo. Dupont, Jr., John Mitchell.
>D: (Written) 16 Feb. 1759, P: (proven) 12 Apr. 1759 R: (recorded) no date,
>page 192 of Will Book 1757-1760
>
>As I mentioned before, I have requested a full copy of the will from SC
>Archives.

Seems to mesh with Elizabeth Shepard's will:

1 @S10@ SOUR @S10@
  2 REFN tschs
  2 RKEY Huguenot Soc of S. C.
  2 TITL Transactions
  2 AUTH Huguenot Society of South Carolina
  2 PUBL
    3 TYPE Journal
    3 PUBR Huguenot Society of South Carolina
  2 OLDS Ervin, Huguenot Soc. S. C. \#79 1974
  2 CHAN 13 Jul 1997 jsq
1 SOUR @S10@
  2 PAGE No. 78 p. 138
  2 TEXT The will of Elizabeth Shepard, wife of Abraham Robert, I, has been
    3 CONT found at the Georgia Department of Archives and History. It was
    3 CONT writtten in St. John's Parish, Georgia (Liberty County), 3 March
    3 CONT 1772, and Probated by Francis Brown 14 September 1785, before Thomas
    3 CONT Baker, P. R. Liberty County. The Will is listed as Court of Ordinary,
    3 CONT Drawer 50, Box 5. The witnesses are Francis Brown \& Michael
    3 CONT Williamson. She names Eldest Son, John Roberts; Grandaughter,
    3 CONT Elizabeth Roberts; and Son, Thomas Sheppard (Shepard). Therefore:
    3 CONT Elizabeth ....? m. 1st., ca 1739 Abraham Robert, I; 2nd., estimate
    3 CONT 1751-58 ....? Shepard. The above changes the date of Abraham Robert,
    3 CONT I, from 1757 to between 1749 and 1756, date of death, Transactions,
    3 CONT Number 77, pages 78-79.

>In a genealogy of the Robarts family of Long County,GA there is a William
>Shepard, born in Old Santee SC died in Liberty County GA that would be about
>the same generation as the James Shepard of the will. He has a daughter
>Elizabeth that marries into the Robarts family.

Hm.  That could complicate matters.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>