Re: Shepards

John,
I think you have put it together. Now the next question (which you can't
answer - and neither can I at this point)is: Are these English Shepards?
(through New England?) or Huguenot? In the family, we always thought they
were Scottish but also wondered if they might be Alsatian because of the
name of Philip Madison Shepard's medical school "Graefenberg Institute"
which was the first chartered medical school in Alabama (Dadeville). Philip
was a graduate of The Medical College of Georgia in Augusta.

This is a transcript of James Shepard,s will from a book by Carolyn T.
Moore.

James Shepard (Shepheard), St. Bartholomew's Parish Colleton Co, blacksmith.
Son: Thomas. Son-in-law: John Roberts, under 21 years. Mentions: al estate
to said son and son-in-law. Exors: wife, during her widowhood; James Sharp,
Esq.; son-in-law John Roberts when he arrives at age. Wit: George Johnson,
Geo. Dupont, Jr., John Mitchell.
D: (Written) 16 Feb. 1759, P: (proven) 12 Apr. 1759 R: (recorded) no date,
page 192 of Will Book 1757-1760

As I mentioned before, I have requested a full copy of the will from SC
Archives.

In a genealogy of the Robarts family of Long County,GA there is a William
Shepard, born in Old Santee SC died in Liberty County GA that would be about
the same generation as the James Shepard of the will. He has a daughter
Elizabeth that marries into the Robarts family.

W. Hugh Tucker