Re: Shepards

>In my first note to this list, I asked a question:
>When and why did the Shepards come to Midway.
>I think I now know the answer and I share it in the
>hope it may help others.
>
>Thomas Shepard's father, James Shepard (or Shepheard),
>died in old Colleton County about 12 April 1759. It would
>appear that sometime after that date, Thomas came to
>Midway with his brother-in-law, John Roberts,

We have a John Robarts who married an Elizabeth Shepard,
per Sam Ervin, Huguenot Soc. S. C. \#79 1974.
See:

 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/robarts/index.html

It's not clear who she was, but her will says her eldest
son was John Roberts and she also had a son Thomas Sheppard.
So she may be the same Elizabeth who married James Sheppard.
That would explain how Thomas Shepard was related to John Robarts:
they were in that case actually half brothers.

> and with, family friend or relative, John Mitchell.

According to Stacy and other sources, John Mitchell and his wife
Martha Stevens moved to Midway with his mother, the widow Sarah Mitchell.
They were from St. Bartholomews Parish, Colleton County, S. C.
It's not clear that John Mitchell was related to either John Robarts
or Thomas Shepard.

Note that the Robarts name was originally the Huguenot French name Robert,
which mutated over time to Roberts and Robarts.

>In December 1776, Robert Adams of St. John's Parish Georgia,
>sells 723 acres of land on the Wassamassaw Swamp (headwaters
>of the Ashley River in South Carolina) to Solomon Legare, jr. of
>Charleston. The sale was proved at St. Johns Parish (Georgia) witnessed by
>Thomas Shepard and the Justice of the Peace was John Mitchell.
>The land sale was recorded in Charleston on 14 May 1785.
>
>A John Roberts married Mrs. Elizabeth Quarterman at Midway
>Church on 6 Feb 1806.

Which made her Mrs. Elizabeth Quarterman Quarterman Roberts,
given that her first husband was Joseph Quarterman and
her maiden name was Quarterman, as well.

She's in the upper right of this chart:
 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/robarts/robarts.html

>Remember that part of the present Dorchester County S.C. was
>in old Colleton County.

So you're saying the Shepards came to Midway for much the same
reasons as everyone else: for land, because their neighbors were,
and because their parents had died?

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>