Re: Iowa Quarterman (was Re: Revolutionary soldiers from Midway)

Hi Clay,

How's Odessa?

>Iowa was my Grandfather's mother, so he should know. He (Thomas Palmer
>Q.) very distinctly told us they pronounced her name "I-OH-wah."
>However, he also explained that she was born out West, soon after Iowa
>became a state, and thus the name. Maybe this was part of the draw
>westward that eventually led them to move to Denver. "Pop" (my Granddad)
>was himself born in Denver, but they couldn't hack it out there and
>moved back to Georgia when he was about six. But his "uncle Palmer" Q.
>stayed on there and prospered. We were also always told that Iowa was
>the last person buried in Midway Cemetery, though I see now there's
>another contender on the Q list. Are there any other volunteers?

I'll pass on that offer for now.

Aunt Jane used to talk about how Iowa and Claudius Marion Quarterman
moved out to Denver and then came back.  She had the story as some
of them rode back on bicycles, they were so anxious to get home.
This was before our two branches made contact again, so I assume
she got the story from Iowa.

I'm confused as to who "Uncle Palmer" was.  I thought Thomas Palmer
Quarterman was your grandfather.  Ahah: William Palmer Quarterman,
Iowa's brother, died in Denver 7 Sep 1953.  Here's an obituary:

 W. P. Quarterman. Service for William P. Quarterman, 89, of 547
 Clarkson St., who died Monday, will be at 1 p. m. Thursday at the
 Hofmann mortuary. Burial will be in Fairmont. Mr. Quarterman, a
 resident of Denver for 66 years, was a retired coal dealer and a
 former county commissioner. He was a member of the South Denver
 Masonic Lodge 93; Royal Arch Masons, Chapter 2; Knights Templar
 Commandery 25; the El Jebel Shrine and Corona Presbyterian Church.
 Survivors include his widow, Lena; two daughters, Mrs. Weltha Q.
 Boos and Mrs Mildred O'Connell and three grandchildren.

(I'm not completely clear as to the source of the obituary.)

C.M.'s sister Julia Van Gilder Quarterman was born in Denver, as well.
She was born in 1891 and he in 1894.  They were the youngest; the
next older, Albina, was born in Darien, Georgia in 1889, as were all
the older siblings (except one who was born in Blaisden's Bluff).
So apparently the family moved to Denver approximately 1890.
If they moved back to Georgia when T.P.Q. was about six, that
would have been about 1900.  Apparently they followed "uncle Palmer",
since if he had lived there 66 years in 1953 he must have moved there
in 1887.

The end of the 19th century was apparently not a good time for Darien.
Thomas Shepard Quarterman and family lived there for a long time,
but he moved to Valdosta in 1900, followed in the next few years
by his children.  Shep and C.M. were of course brothers.  But I digress.

Iowa became a state 28 December 1846.

We have Iowa Quarterman as being born in Walthourville, Georgia,
13 July 1853, with the source as Claudius Marion Quarterman Sr.
Family Bible, transcribed by Palmer L. Quarterman.  Maybe she
lived in Denver some time after that and before 1890?

If so, it would have been after all her siblings were born, since
they were all born in Walthourville, the youngest being "uncle Palmer,"
in 1863.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>