Re: Revolutionary soldiers from Midway

>They had a brother Straughan who was born in 1762 and thus too young.

Well, I was wrong about that.  Remind me to look in the family history
database, where I recorded back in 1997 from
 Ervin, Huguenot Soc. S. C. \#79 1974
that
`` Straughan Conyers, who was known as Stran or Stan Conyers, was born
about 1764. Despite his youth, he server as cornet or colorbearer in a
troop in Colonel Peter Horry's Regiment of General Marion's Brigade
during the Revolution.''

I suppose he didn't turn up in lists of paid soldiers because of his
age and unusual position.  Er, no, it's just because I didn't look
closely enough.  He is listed, as "Conyers Stran ( Straughn )".
 http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1786/swampfox_NCO_C-D.html

This is an interesting example of a very young soldier in that war;
if he was born in 1764, he couldn't have been older than 17 when
the British were finally driven from Dorchester for good, and he
was 10 or 11 years old when Marion first garrisoned at Fort Dorchester
in 1775.

>The two Conyers brothers who fought with Marion were first cousins
>once removed of the three Quarterman brothers who fought in Liberty County.
>See the chart,
>--Quarterman Family of Liberty County..., p. 84.

Actually, all three sons of James Conyers and Mary McIntosh
(grandsons of James Conyers and Mary Quarterman served with
Marion.  They're all on the same chart in the book.

Furthermore, their sister Elizabeth Conyers (1750-1791) married
John Anderson, Jr. (1747-1805).

``John Anderson served as quartermaster in
  General Francis Marion's Brigade during the Revolution.''

This is also from Ervin, Huguenot Soc. S. C. \#79 1974.

A John Anderson appears in the list of those who served with Marion:
 http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1786/swampfox_NCO_A-B.html

Mary Conyers d. 1783 married Hugh Gamble d. 1783.
There was a Hugh Gamble who fought with Marion:
 http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1786/swampfox_NCO_G-H.html

Sarah Conyers married in 1782 Daniel Carter.
By the marriage date I'd guess Daniel Carter was too young for that war,
but he had a brother Captain Ben Carter.
Reference is the same Ervin, Huguenot Soc. S. C. \#79 1974.

As discussed in the previous message, it seems likely that Mary
Quarterman's grandsons by her second husband, Jonathan Pamor,
also served with Marion.

>Leaving the Pamours aside, it seems that almost every male descendant
>of Robert Quarterman who was of age during the Revolutionary War fought
>in it, either in Liberty County, or in South Carolina with Francis Marion.

This turns out to be even more true than I previously thought.

It's astonishing how practically everybody around Dorchester, S.C.,
and Midway, Ga. took action in that war.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>