Re: Revolutionary soldiers from Midway

>Who are the other two Revolutionary Soldiers??
>Myrtle Joyce Longcoy

Here's a web page with names of a few of the most prominent Midway
revolutionary soldiers:
 http://www.libertyconnection.com/midway/cemetery.html

The tall monument or obelisk in the middle of the cemetery
is for General James Screven and General Daniel Stewart.

Gen. Screven was wounded defending Midway Church, captured,
and died.
 http://www.geocities.com/f_dyesssoubelle_1999/midway.html

Brig. Gen. Stewart's great-grandson was President Theodore Roosevelt,
who contributed financially to the construction of the monument
in 1915.  Eleanor Roosevelt was the General's great-great-granddaughter.
 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/tr/index.html

``General Daniel Stewart, the son of John and Susannah Stewart, was
born December 20, 1761, in Liberty county, entered the Revolutionary
army when only fifteen years of age, was frequently in battle under
Sumter and Marion, taken a prisoner at Pocataligo and put on board a
prison ship at Charleston, from which he made his escape with eight
others, on a stormy night, ... From Sherwood's Gazetteer.''
--Stacy's History, p. 122.

So Daniel Stewart is an example of a Midway man who fought with the Swamp Fox
in South Carolina.  Probably other people from Midway fought with him.

Captain William Quarterman (1746-1767) served in that war.
His wife was Sarah Stewart; they are buried in Midway Cemetery.
Her brother was Gen. Daniel Stewart.
--Quarterman Family of Liberty County..., pp. 97-98, person number 12.
I imagine some people on this list are descended from Capt. William Quarterman.
He was my great-great-great-great-great-uncle.

Thomas Quarterman (1738-1791) served as private in the Georgia militia,
in the Sons of Liberty.  He is buried in Midway Cemetery; we're not
sure where his three wives are buried; probably there, too.
--Quarterman Family of Liberty County..., pp. 94-96, person number 10.
He was my great-great-great-great-grandfather, and he bears the same
relation to several other people on this list.

Robert Quarterman (1742-1767) served as a private in Georgia Militia
B and D in Liberty County from 1744-1776 during the Revolutionary War.
He and his first wife Mary Way are buried in Midway Cemetery
(we aren't sure about his second wife Elizabeth Baker).
--Quarterman Family of Liberty County..., pp. 96-97, person number 11.
He was also my great-great-great-great-grandfather, and he bears the same
relation to several other people on this list.

In other words, all of John Quarterman Sr.'s sons who were still alive
(John Quarterman, Jr. died in 1769) and old enough (Richard Quarterman
was born in 1760, and thus was 16 in 1776) served in the Revolutionary War.

Their sister, Jemima, was married in 1775 to John Way Sr.,
whose sister was Mary Way wife of Robert Quarterman, above, and
whose brother was William Way, who I think is the same whom
Dane Bowen mentioned as serving in the war.
--Quarterman Family of Liberty County..., pp. 758, persons 80 and 81.
John and Jemima Way were also my great-great-great-great-grandparents,
and bear the same relation to several other people on this list.

A William Way was among those who fought with the Swamp Fox:
 http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1786/swampfox_NCO_W-Z.html

Another veteran from Midway was the pastor at the time:

``Rev. Moses Allen (d. 1779)
He was born in Northampton, Mass.; was licensed to preach by the Presbytery
of New Brunswick, February 1, 1774, and on March 10th, 1775, he was ordained
at Charleston, S.C., and installed pastor of an Independent Church at Wappetaw.
In 1777 he resigned his charge and removed to Liberty county, Ga., where he
took charge of the Midway Presbyterian Church; but the next year his
congregation was dispersed and his church burned. He entered the army as
chaplain; was taken prisoner and in attempting to escape, by swimming from
the prison-ship in which he was confined, was drowned, February 8th, 1779.
The friends of independence admired Mr. Allen for his popular talents, his
courage, and his many virtues.''
 From Early American Presbyterians:
 http://sdss4.physics.lsa.umich.edu:8080/~mckay/amckay/presbioa.htm

Presumably the body was not recovered.

And another was Major John Jones,
``Jones, Joseph (1779-1846), planter, younger son of John Jones
(1749-1779) and Mary Sharpe (1755-1798) was born in Jacksonboro,
South Carolina, on November 26th 1779. His father a native of
Charleston had migrated shortly before the Revolutionary war to
coastal Georgia; a few years later at the siege of Savannah, he had
met a patriots death on October 9th 1779, seven weeks before the
birth of his younger son.''
--Myers, Children of Pride, p. 1573.

I imagine Midway Museum would have a more complete list of
Revolutionary War veterans buried in Midway Cemetery, as well
as those buried elsewhere.

Looking a bit farther afield, a Major James Conyers served with Marion:
 http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1786/swampfox.html
And a Major James Conyers (ca. 1774-1782) was a Quarterman descendant
in a branch that never left S.C.
--Quarterman Family of Liberty County..., p. 120, person 36.

A Captain Daniel Conyers also served with Marion:
 http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1786/swampfox.html
And a Captain James Conyers (-1823) was Major James Conyers' brother.
--Quarterman Family of Liberty County..., p. 122, person 37.

They had a brother Straughan who was born in 1762 and thus too young.

The two Conyers brothers who fought with Marion were first cousins
once removed of the three Quarterman brothers who fought in Liberty County.
See the chart,
--Quarterman Family of Liberty County..., p. 84.

Two granddaughters of Robert Quarterman, first of the line in S.C.,
married a William Graves and a Lt. Campbell Ainsley.  A William Graves
fought with Marion:
 http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1786/swampfox_NCO_G-H.html

I'm not sure what Lt. Campbell Ainsley did, but he was a Lt. at the
right time to be in this war.

Finally, Mary Quarterman, daughter of Robert Quarterman of S.C., who
married first John Conyours and was grandmother of the Conyers officers
named above, married second Jonathan Pamor and had a son Thomas Pamour.
Thomas was too old to fight in this war, but there was a private John Pamor
who fought with Marion:
 http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1786/swampfox_NCO_P-Q.html
He could have been Thomas Pamour's son.

There was also a Captain John Palmer with Marion:
 http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1786/swampfox.html
and Palmer was the later spelling of Pamour:
 http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/3207/spring.htm
This Palmer or Pamour family lived in or near Berkeley County, S.C.,
so it was quite possibly the same as the Jonathan Pamor family,
although it's not clear to me exactly what the relationship was.

Leaving the Pamours aside, it seems that almost every male descendant
of Robert Quarterman who was of age during the Revolutionary War fought
in it, either in Liberty County, or in South Carolina with Francis Marion.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>