Re: Shepards and Robarts

----- Original Message -----
From: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq@quarterman.org>
To: <book@quarterman.org>
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: Shepards and Robarts

> Which Robarts genealogies are you using?
>
> >Thomas Shepard's mother, Elizabeth Shepard (b 1721 d. 14 Aug 1785 in the
> >Georgetown District (Marion County)  of South Carolina) was also the
> >mother of John Robarts (Roberts), Sr (b 2 Feb 1739/40 d.17 Apr 1786)
> >Her first marriage was to Abram (Abraham) Robert (b. 1721 in French
> >Santee, South Carolina died about 1751 in Colleton County SC). The
> >second marriage was to James Shepard.
>
> That's one of the speculations we were making earlier, from the various
> wills.  What evidence do the Robarts genealogies cite?

It appears that the main source of information about Abram Robert is Annie
Elizabeth Miller "Our Family Circle, Press of J.W. Burke Co. Macon Ga. 1931.
Some informatin is taken from George Mason Graham Stafford, "Three Pioneer
Rapides Families" Pelican Pub. Co. New Orleans. I have not been able to
locate copies of either as of this date.

 I have a number of requests out for further information about this account
but have had few replies as of this date. I have had a very interesting
correspondence with the author of
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hemlockhill/Roberts.htm
I hope to have better documentation within the next few weeks.

Here is a typical Robarts chart:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=bruce&id=I0422

Obviously, I am the source for the second marriage as though the the link
above has Thomas Shepard but a wrong name for the father.

> >From James Shepard's will we know that John Roberts,Sr. first married
> >James Shepards' daughter.
>
> Which daughter was this?
> What does the will specifically say?

This is based on the abstract that has already been posted. I have ordered a
copy of the original from the South Carolina archives and will share the
contents when it arrives. No women are named by name in the abstract of the
will.

> > After her death, he married Mary Lambright on
> >23 September 1765. Their son John Robarts, Jr. married first Mary Baker
>
> That's Mary Norman (daughter of William Norman and Mary Boyd)
> who had first married William Baker (son of Richard Pendarvis Baker
> and Elizabeth Andrew) and had two children.
>
> >and then Elizabeth Quarterman.
>
> Daughter of Robert Quarterman b. 1742 and Elizabeth Baker b. 1756.
> She had first married Joseph Quarterman son of Thomas Quarterman Sr.
> and Rebecca Bacon.
>
> >Robarts genealogies list Elizabeth Shepard's father as the William
> >Shepard listed on the Midway Church roles and his death as 1802 in
> >Liberty County.
>
> Very interesting.
>
> And there's the other William Shepard you previously mentioned,
> b. Feb 22 1780, son of Thomas and Esther, m. Ann McTeer 12 June 1800.
> He's also mentioned as died 1825 in Wilson's Annals of Georgia.
>
> >When the Roberts came to Midway in 1765, they changed the name to
> >Robarts to reflect the proper pronunciation of the name.
>
> That's a very Midway sort of thing to do.
> The name does change spelling at that time.
> What's the source for the reason?

You might be interested in this passage from
The ROBERT(S) OF SOUTH CAROLINA, GEORGIA, and FLORIDA
by William H. and Fonda W. Marcum

Abraham Robert married Elizabeth Sheppard about 1738 and had several
children, one, Zachariah, become my g-g-g-grandfather. It is known that
their son, John, was born 2 February 1740 in South Carolina and died 17
April 1786 in Liberty County Georgia. He married Mary Lambright, daughter of
Antony and Violet Labright in September 1765. Zachariah and John had at last
one more brother, David, who served as administrator of the estate of Abrahm
when he died in October 1762.

Abraham and his wife, Elizabeth, lived on the northeast side of the Pee Dee
River in Craven County...

About this time (1759), many of this particular branch of Pierre Robert's
descendants (pronounced Ro-bart) had begun spelling the name as pronounced,
and added an "s" to make it Robarts.

The first of the family of the family to imigrate to Georgia was John, the
eldest son, who moved to Liberty County, Georgia about 1765 and remained
there until this county was overrun by the British at the beginning of the
Revolutionary War. John and his family became refugees and returned to South
Carolina, where they remained until the war ended

I have written Mr. Marcum and hope to obtain further information. I received
this document from one of the Florida Robarts.  Unfortunately, the document
I received  is missing the footnotes from the very section I am interested
in.

Hugh