Re: Shepards and Robarts

>Since (and because of) our last communication on this subject, I have
>found another Quarterman connection.

This seems a very productive line of investigation, then.

>By looking at Robarts (Roberts) genealogies, I think I have found an
>interesting time line.

Which Robarts genealogies are you using?

>Thomas Shepard's mother, Elizabeth Shepard (b 1721 d. 14 Aug 1785 in the
>Georgetown District (Marion County)  of South Carolina) was also the
>mother of John Robarts (Roberts), Sr (b 2 Feb 1739/40 d.17 Apr 1786)
>Her first marriage was to Abram (Abraham) Robert (b. 1721 in French
>Santee, South Carolina died about 1751 in Colleton County SC). The
>second marriage was to James Shepard.

That's one of the speculations we were making earlier, from the various
wills.  What evidence do the Robarts genealogies cite?

>From James Shepard's will we know that John Roberts,Sr. first married
>James Shepards' daughter.

Which daughter was this?
What does the will specifically say?

> After her death, he married Mary Lambright on
>23 September 1765. Their son John Robarts, Jr. married first Mary Baker

That's Mary Norman (daughter of William Norman and Mary Boyd)
who had first married William Baker (son of Richard Pendarvis Baker
and Elizabeth Andrew) and had two children.

>and then Elizabeth Quarterman.

Daughter of Robert Quarterman b. 1742 and Elizabeth Baker b. 1756.
She had first married Joseph Quarterman son of Thomas Quarterman Sr.
and Rebecca Bacon.

>Robarts genealogies list Elizabeth Shepard's father as the William
>Shepard listed on the Midway Church roles and his death as 1802 in
>Liberty County.

Very interesting.

And there's the other William Shepard you previously mentioned,
b. Feb 22 1780, son of Thomas and Esther, m. Ann McTeer 12 June 1800.
He's also mentioned as died 1825 in Wilson's Annals of Georgia.

>When the Roberts came to Midway in 1765, they changed the name to
>Robarts to reflect the proper pronunciation of the name.

That's a very Midway sort of thing to do.
The name does change spelling at that time.
What's the source for the reason?

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>