Re: Methodists and Presbyterians

As I note in the Way family history I published, when the Congregational
Churches in SC and GA died out, the descendants of the New Englanders who
brought them south tended to switch to the sect nearest in religious belief
and practice.  In the case of the Way family in GA, they generally switched
to the Presbyterian.  Indeed, some went to China as Presbyterian
missionaries.  But in SC the Ways mostly became Methodists.
       The founder of the Methodists, John Wesley, was briefly in GA soon
after it's founding and probably accounted for some Methodists there. Later
the Methodist Church appealed to people on the frontier.

Dane Bowen in Alexandria, Va., researching Bowen, Bacon, Carlton (Carleton),
Luker, Sanders (Saunders), Chaudoin (Chaudoins), Maverick, Richey (Ritchie,
Richie, Ritchey), Spence, Sumner, Way, and Wells families.