China (was Re: Methodists and Presbyterians)

Dane Bowen remarked that some people from Midway went to China
as missionaries.  Among them were:

Richard Quarterman Way b. 20 Dec 1819 d. 6 Aug 1895,
joined Midway Church 23 Nov 1835.
He went to China with his wife,
Susan Caroline Quarterman b. 26 Aug 1824 d. 20 May 1893,
daughter of Rev. Robert Quarterman.
They went about 1843, worked in Ningpo, and returned in 1858.
Then he "worked as a missionary with
Negroes in Liberty County, was pastor of Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church
1866--1871, Brunswick, Presbyterian evangelist 1871--1873 and was pastor in
Bryan County. He was pastor of Anderson Church in Savannah from 1886--1893."

Another was Rev. John Winn Quarterman b. 1821 d. 1857.
He went to China in 1846 and died at Ningpo, China
of smallpox in 1857.
He was a son of Rev. Robert Quarterman, pastor at Midway
from 1823 to 1849.

Another was Mary Leila Winn (dates unknown).
Her father Thomas Sumner Winn
was co-pastor for seven years at Midway with Rev. I.S.K. Axson,
who was the successor to Rev. Robert Quarterman.
Her mother was Mary Quarterman, a daughter of Rev. Robert Quarterman,
and sister of Rev. John Winn Quarterman and Susan Caroline Quarterman.

Another was Rev. Henry Holmes Winn b. 1840;
he died of tuberculosis in Hong Kong in 1890.
He was originally buried in Happy Valley Cemetery, HK,
but was later transferred to Forest Hill Cemetery,
Madison, Wisconsin.  He was a first cousin of
Mary Leila Winn.

So all of them were related somehow to Rev. Robert Quarterman.
More specifically, while Rev. Robert had four wives, all of
his relevant children, namely Rev. John Winn Quarterman,
Susan Caroline Quarterman, and Mary Quarterman, were
children of one wife: Mary Jemima Way.
Did she know something about China?

Here's a chart showing all this:
 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/china/

And of course there's Hon. John E. Ward, briefly
U.S. minister to China.  So far as I know, he's
not related by blood to the Quartermans, although
there is a relation through marriage to Mary Jemima Way:
 John Elliott WARD, sibling of
 Louisa Vanyererine WARD, spouse of
 Abial WINN, child of
 Peter Farley WINN, sibling of
 Anna WINN, mother of
 Mary Jemima WAY, spouse of
 Rev. Robert QUARTERMAN.

In other words, John E. Ward's sister was married to a first cousin
of Mary Jemima Way Quarterman.

Most of the Quarterman relatives on this list who are descended
from Rev. Robert Quarterman (e.g., me, David, Clay, etc.)
as well as others who have been mentioned (Luther, Leonora, etc.)
are descended from his first wife, Rebecca Quarterman.
(I'm sure somebody will correct me if I've got that wrong. :-)

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>