Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 10:33 AM
Subject: RE: Research ideas

Dear Cousins,

All of the remaining British war records can be found in the Public Record office in Kew, London. (you will need a passport to get in, take the district line from central London to Kew Gardens)I have searched through records from The Great Wars, WWI and WWII. There are many Quartermans and each record provides a unique discovery. There is information about the persons character and physical characteristics (age, height, eye colour etc), addresses before and after enlisting, family names, occupations/rank and ages, injuries, dates of places served and medals etc.

However the records are not comprehensive as many of the WWI records were destroyed by bombs on London in WWII. But if it exists its there!

Personally, I copied the ID number written on my great granddad's war medals and searched using that. As well as a greater understanding of what the medals meant, I found many records which correlated with word of mouth stories I'd heard and it served as a prompt to help my living elders remember more....' oh yes I vaguely remember ........

Well worth a visit. and be warned it is very time consuming and you will need to learn how the records are filed, how to operate a microfiche and find what you want before 3pm else you cannot view the originals. You can only take in paper and lead pencils (no pens, coats or bags) but there are lockers and a cafeteria.

Best of luck researchers,

Victoria Quarterman