Re: Research ideas

>Dear Q Friends,
>
>I was recently visiting in London at the Imperial War Museum (a WONDERFUL
>display), and they had a database of all servicemen killed in WWI who are
>buried on the mainland. Of course, I had to try various spellings, and came
>up with 5 Quartermans/Quatremains/etc. on various battlefields. Anyone doing
>research may want to check that source. Sorry, I didn't have time to get
>details -- I entered for free an hour before closing time.

Sounds very interesting.

> (Maybe I have some Scottish blood in there somewhere.)

Oh, a genealogical question.  Let me take it too seriously. :-)

So far as I know, the answer is no.  It's our branch that has the Scottish
connections, and apparently yours doesn't.  However, we don't have much
on your mother's family or your father's mother's family, so anything
is possible.

Oops; no, I take that back.  You have an Eliott five generations back,
and if we could follow that line another 5-7 generations back through
Massachusetts, those Elliotts were from Scotland.

>I've often wondered about the Robert Quarterman who just "shows up" in South
>Carolina in 1694. Could he have been perhaps a refugee from the Huguenot
>persecutions in France at that time?

I've often wondered this, considering that it was on October 18, 1685
that Louis XIV revoked the Edict of Nantes, causing half a million
Huguenots to emigrate to England, Prussia, Holland, and America.

> Could he perhaps have taken that name
>as an assumed name to avoid detection in case of further persecution? If so,
>we're barking up the wrong tree. My Swedish ancestors on my mother's side
>changed names from Johnson(?) to Forsvall on the Trans-Atlantic trip just
>because they thought the name was too 'common'.

That could be.

Or he could simply have been a French Quatremaine who took the English
or American spelling upon emigrating.

We know that Guillaume LeConte came from France to S.C. at that time,
as did Leonard Vernadeau, who changed the spelling to Varnedoe.

 http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~pmullins/chapter01.htm

Which, incidentally, leads to an angle of research I don't think
anyone has pursued.  Look for LeContes and Vernadeaus in France and
see if there are any Quatremaines associated with them.

However, I hasten to add before my aunt Jane hears me and reminds me,
that there is not a shred of evidence that our Robert Quarterman of
South Carolina came from France.  Of course, there's also not a shred
of evidence that he came from England.

And, for that matter, both could be true.  One researcher appears to
believe that Leanord Vernadeau's father died in England:

 http://www.meocpa.com/varnado.html

Huguenots fleeing France might well have crossed the Channel, joined up
with English Puritans, and emigrated from England across the Atlantic.

One researcher thinks Leanord Vernadeau was born in Limousin, France.

 http://www.se.mediaone.net/~baygents/Hutto.html

Limousin is on the northwest edge of the Massif Central, halfway between
Paris and Toulouse; not a place that would have occured to me to look.

Hm, here's an amusing tidbit:

 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bertrand.gillard/pages/cata3.htm

433. VERNADEAU

(P.).

Le Médecin de la Reyne (Pardoux Gondinet)

. P., Noël et Stecle, 1934. Petit in-4, br. couv. illustrée, 8 pl. h.-texte, 94 pp. (W). 140 F

A book about a Pierre Vernadeau who was the doctor of the Queen.
Shades of the Quarterman who was a doctor of King Charles II.

>Weather here in Odessa is great. Cool, in 60s most of the time for the past
>few weeks. Ain't life grande?

Looks like you're getting rain at the moment.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>