Re: Unknown Quarterman

>Three things:
>
>1) I believe he went to the Naval War College in Newport, RI shortly
>before the Spring of 1984, when, as an Ensign, I attended Surface
>Warfare Officer's School, also in Newport.  I kept getting his mail.
>
>2) I saw him on TV sometime during his tenure as CO of the USS Guam.  He
>introduced Bob Hope in one of those televised USO Specials.

What did he look like?

>3) During my short stint in the Navy, I think I heard: "... and you must
>be Capt. Quarterman's son?" about a thousand times.
>
>Unfortunately, I was never able to meet the man.  Based on comments from
>those who did know him, he was very highly regarded.
>
>Regards,
>
>John W. Quarterman (of the obscure Tallahassee branch of the Liberty
>Quartermans)

Hm.  Would you be

John Wallace Quarterman
son of Wallace Leonard Quarterman
son of Alexander McDougal Quarterman
son of Wallace Stacy Quarterman
son of Nathaniel Pratt Quarterman
son of Rev. Robert Quarterman

and therefore my fourth cousin?

John Sinclair Quarterman
son of David Sinclair Quarterman Jr.
son of David Sinclair Quarterman
son of Thomas Shepard Quarterman
son of Edward William Quarterman
son of Rev. Robert Quarterman

Your ancestor Pratt was actually one of the best known of the offspring
of Rev. Robert Quarterman, so in that sense at least I'm not sure your
claim to obscurity is correct.

Regarding the name John Quarterman, I ran into a similar coincidence.
When I moved to Austin there was a John Quarterman at nearby Bergstrom AFB.
He is English; his daughter sometimes corresponds.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@mids.org>