Re: Another Quarterman ancestor

>Hello Saundra,
>I have a site you should check out.  It is the Camden County, Georgia
>site...full of our side of the Q family.  You should start there and search
>for any names that your older relatives may remember.  The site address is:
>           www.camdencounty.org
>Search through the cemetery listings and genealogy.  If you want to go
>directly to cemetery listings, try this:
>           www.camdencounty.org/gene/cemetery/q.html
>
>I hope this works for you, let me know what you find out.  This is a great
>site for anyone looking for Q's.  Good day everyone!!!  Lee Q.

I've added a link to the above from www.quarterman.org.

The three biggest Quarterman families in North America that we know about are:

The Liberty County, Georgia Quartermans, whose earliest known
Quarterman ancestor appeared in South Carolina in 1695 and is presumed
to have come from Oxfordshire.  Other ancestors of this Midway group
came to Massachusetts in 1630; they moved to S.C. in 1698 and to Midway
in 1752.

The Camden County, Georgia Quartermans, whose ancestors came from Oxfordshire
in the middle of the nineteenth century.

The African-American Quartermans, who took their name from the first group
above.

There is no known genealogical relationship among any of those three groups.
Probably the first two are related somewhere back in Oxfordshire, but nobody
has yet managed to track that down.

We have corresponded with about half a dozen other Quarterman groups
in the U.S., Canada, or Australia, plus of course Quartermans in England,
many of them represented by subscribers who are on this list.

The author of the Quarterman One Name Study has said he has found about
30 Quarterman families worldwide.

Thanks,
John
--
John S. Quarterman <jsq@mids.org>
President, Matrix Information and Directory Services (MIDS)