Re: Revolutionary soldiers from Midway

>Dear John,
>
>Well, well-- I had known that my Great-Grandfather's name was Claudius
>"Marion" Quarterman, but never realized he was named for the Swamp Fox.
>They sometimes called him Claude and sometimes "Marion," and sometimes
>he just signed "C.M."-- I see now that it was an easily recognizable
>reference.

I've never heard who he was named for.  There seems to be no occurence of
the name Marion in the family genealogy before Claudius Marion Quarterman.
The Swamp Fox would be one likely possibility for the source of the name.

My aunt Jane used to tell a story about her (great-)Aunt Iowa, i.e., your
great grandmother, acting as lookout for confederate soldiers hiding in
the swamps near Midway.  She'd give an all-clear signal (I forget what
the signal was) when it was safe for them to come in.

>Thanks for the info--and for a deeper appreciation of our heritage.

It's astonishing what turns up with a little digging.
Just found another one; see next post.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>