RE: Revolutionary soldiers from Midway

Dear John,

Well, well-- I had known that my Great-Grandfather's name was Claudius
"Marion" Quarterman, but never realized he was named for the Swamp Fox.
They sometimes called him Claude and sometimes "Marion," and sometimes
he just signed "C.M."-- I see now that it was an easily recognizable
reference.

Thanks for the info--and for a deeper appreciation of our heritage.

Sincerely,
Clay Quarterman

Charleston at the time was the fourth largest and richest city in the
colonies.

British Lt. Colonel Banastre Tarleton led cavalry up the Ashley River
and captured Dorchester on 13 April 1780.  Dorchester at the time was a
small town of 40 houses.  Charleston fell a month later.
http://www.patriotresource.com/people/tarleton.html
It was Tarleton who first called Marion the Swamp Fox.
Tarleton was the model for the antagonist character Col. Tavington in
the movie, The Patriot, although there were objections from Britain that
Tarleton was not as bad as that character.

Colonel ``Light Horse Harry'' Lee reoccupied Dorchester on 14 July 1781.
Lee had come down from North Carolina after the British had been
defeated there. It was Light Horse Harry who wrote the famous words when
Washington died: ``To the memory of the Man, first in war, first in
peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen.''
http://gi.grolier.com/presidents/nbk/bios/01pwash.html
Lee later had a son who became even more famous: Robert Edward Lee.

The British returned to Dorchester (date and leader not mentioned).

General Nathanael Green and Col. Wade Hampton drove them out for good on
Dec 1, 1781.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>
[ This is the Quarterman book discussion list, book@quarterman.org [ To
get off or on the list, see http://www.quarterman.org/booklist.html