Re: Shepards in Midway Church

Here's an extract of something I sent Hugh earlier.
Note the Way connection, and the indirect Quarterman
and Baker connections.

We have a Thomas Shepard m. Jean Andrews in 1802 (with three sources
for the marriage):
 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/shepard/thomasshepardmandrewsg2.html

I'm not clear on how this is a Quarterman connection, other than that
their son Thomas Jane Shepard married second Serena Way whose sister
Adaline Way married Edward William Quarterman and one of their children
was named Thomas Shepard Quarterman.  See:
 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/shepard/shepardwayquarterman.html

Children of the sisters Serena and Adaline Way whom they named after
each other (Orillie Serena Quarterman and Adeline Lucilla Shepard),
after themselves (Rebecca Adaline Quarterman and Serena Isabelle Shepard),
and after their sister's husband's family (Thomas Shepard Quarterman);
these are shown in purple.  Thomas Shepard Quarterman was my
great-great-grandfather; he was commonly known as Shep.

Is there another Quarterman connection in there that I'm not seeing?

Also, it's curious that Thomas and Serena Shepard named two of their
children John Wesley and Charles Wesley.  Was that family by any chance
Methodist?  Why yes, it turns out they were.  Thomas J. Shepard's obituary
says that:
 ``At the age of two weeks the object of this notice was left without
 a mother and was reared by a step-mother, the sister of Dr. Daniel
 Baker, unitl he was fifteen or sixteen years of age. In early
 manhood he moved to Pike County, where in the providence of God,
 at a camp meetinng, in 1825, he was happily converted, and at once
 joined the Methodist E. Church.''

(This is the same Daniel Baker D.D. whom we discussed recently;
the one who founded Austin College in Huntsville, Texas, which
is now in Sherman Texas.)

This could help explain why the origin of Shep's middle name was not
clear in the family.  Shep's line, and his father and his grandfather
Rev. Robert before him, were Presbyterians.

(The author of the obituary was Rev. Theophilus Sterling Lane Harwell,
who married Jane Rebecca Shepard; they have living descendants.)

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>