Re: Elizabeth Baker

>William Munsford Baker wrote a biography of Daniel Baker.

William M. Baker, The Life and Labours of the Rev. Daniel Baker, D.D.,
Pastor and Evangelist (Philadelphia: Presbyterian Board of Publication, 1858).

>  It was not until the end that he gave some history of Daniel's ancestors.
>Daniel Baker died while at the Texas Legislature trying to get them to set up
>a plan for the college to receive free tuition.  At one time the college was
>named Daniel Baker.

The Austin College Daniel Baker founded in 1849 was in Huntsville and is now
in Sherman:

 http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/AA/kba15.html

Baker refused to have it be named after him.  Instead they named it after
Stpehen F. Austin.  The city of Austin is also named after Stephen F. Austin.

There appears to be a different institution that is named Daniel Baker College:

 http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/DD/kbd6.html

It was founded in Brownwood, in 1888, and was named after Daniel Baker;
he was dead, so he couldn't object.

>  He was an evangelist for all over the world.  He raised
>a lot of money for the college especially in the Math department.  I believe
>that he may be buried in Austin and there might be relatives living there.

According to Stacy, Daniel Baker died in Austin.
This makes sense, even though Daniel Baker lived in Huntsville,
because his son lived in Austin.

I can check to see if Daniel Baker is buried in Austin; I live there.

>At that time William Munsford Baker was living in Austin.

We have a William Munford Baker as son of Daniel Baker and Elizabeth
McRobert.  The Handbook of Texas Online has him as
BAKER, WILLIAM MUMFORD (1825-1883).

 http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/BB/fba41.html

>  When I have more
>time, I'll give a little story I enjoyed a great deal with Daniel and my
>Joseph Stevens Baker.

Looking forward to it.

>The large Presbyterian Church in Washington that you see President visiting.
>For awhile, Daniel was minister there.

``In 1821 or 1822 he became pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church,
 Washington, D.C., where John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson were members.''

 http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/BB/fba25.html

>You must be the gentleman from Friendswood brother, he said you might need to
>get some things straightened Out.

Wiley Jarrell is the one who lives in Friendswood; he and I are fourth
cousins; Rev. Robert Quarterman is the common ancestor.

>Myrtle Joyce Longcoy

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>

PS: To make it easier to follow the various lines, remember there's an
archive of this list:

 http://www.quarterman.org/book/archives/