Quarterman Dates

   [1]Tomorrow:
   November 2

   1698: Darien fleet in Darien, First landing in Caledonia Bay.

   1876: Rev. Samuel J. Barrows,

   1889: South Dakota, as 40th U.S. state

   1889: ND,

   1889: SD,

   1889: North Dakota, becomes 39th U.S. state

   1917:  Balfour  Declaration, Lord Balfour informs Lord Rothschild that
   [2]``Dear  Lord  Rothschild, I have much pleasure in conveying to you,
   on  behalf  of  His Majesty's Government, the following declaration of
   sympathy  with Jewish Zionist aspirations which has been submitted to,
   and  approved  by,  the  Cabinet. " His Majesty's Government view with
   favour  the  establishment  in  Palestine  of  a National home for the
   Jewish  people,  and  will use their best endeavours to facilitate the
   achievement  of  this object, it being clearly understood that nothing
   shall  be  done  which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of
   existing  non-Jewish  communities  in  Palestine,  or  the  rights and
   political  status  enjoyed  by Jews in any other country." I should be
   grateful  if  you would bring this declaration to the knowledge of the
   Zionist Federation.

   ``Yours sincerely,

   ``Arthur James Balfour''

   Often  seen  as  the  initiation  of  the  process  that  led  to  the
   establishment  of  the  State  of  Israel. Issuing of the statement is
   believed  to have been motivated just as much by British interests, as
   by  the  sympathy for the Zionist cause. At the eve of the World War I
   Britain  needed  the  support  from  the  World  Jewry, which had been
   neutral,  and  which  represented  a  large  part of the population of
   Germany and Austria-Hungary. The declaration was drafted with the help
   of  US  President,  Woodrow  Wilson,  who  was  a  strong supporter of
   Zionism. --[3]labehotierre@wanadoo.fr

   1948:  Truman  beats  Dewey,  in US Presidential Election, confounding
   pollsters  and  newspapers Dewey states "Out of the jaws of victory we
   have snatched defeat" --[4]labehotierre@wanadoo.fr