Re: Shepards and Robarts

>>Since (and because of) our last communication on this subject, I have
>>found another Quarterman connection.
>>
>>By looking at Robarts (Roberts) genealogies, I think I have found an
>>interesting time line.
>>
>>Thomas Shepard's mother, Elizabeth Shepard (b 1721 d. 14 Aug 1785 in the
>>Georgetown District (Marion County)  of South Carolina) was also the
>>mother of John Robarts (Roberts), Sr (b 2 Feb 1739/40 d.17 Apr 1786)
>>Her first marriage was to Abram (Abraham) Robert (b. 1721 in French
>>Santee, South Carolina died about 1751 in Colleton County SC). The
>>second marriage was to James Shepard.=20
>>
>I've added this.

Here's the result:
 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/robarts/shepardrobarts.html

>>>From James Shepard's will we know that John Roberts,Sr. first married
>>James Shepards' daughter.

That part hasn't made it into the database yet.

>> After her death, he married Mary Lambright on
>>23 September 1765.

That's in the above chart.

> Their son John Robarts, Jr. married first Mary Baker
>
>I concur. See Huguenot Society S. C. reference below.

>>and then Elizabeth Quarterman.

See:
 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/robarts/shepardrobartsquarterman.html

Probably I should add disclaimers to these charts to say that they
shouldn't be used as sources themselves; they're only illustrations
of conclusions from research by various parties.

>>Robarts genealogies list Elizabeth Shepard's father as the William
>>Shepard listed on the Midway Church roles and his death as 1802 in
>>Liberty County.
>>
>I have a problem with this William Shepard dying in 1802. If his daughter
>Elizabeth was born in 1721, he probably was born about 1700, this would
>make him 102 at death.

Interesting.  Not on the charts yet.

>>Hugh
>

>I've found Huguenot Society of South Carolina #79 1974 has an article
>by Ervin giving a great deal of Robarts information.

For those who don't recognize the source, the author is Senator Sam Ervin
of Watergate fame.  He was also a genealogist.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>