Osgood, Ipswich, Andover, S.C.

Here's a brief mention of the Andover Osgoods that I found in the
Andover Historical Society,
 http://www.ultranet.com/~andhists/

It's an interesting example of minimal understanding of S.C. by
writers in Andover.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't recall hearing
inhabitants of the Charleston area referred to as cavaliers anywhere
else; that term was more applicable to Virginia.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>

``Christopher Osgood

``In sketch 16, mention is made of the Ipswich Christopher and his
father-in-law Philip Fowler, clothmaker, who died in 1679 in Ipswich.
Our Christopher followed his mother, who had married the elderly Thomas
Rowell, to Andover in 1650, shortly after his own father's death.
His sister Mary was already there as the wife of John Lovejoy, emigrant,
Debora, in 1663, after the death of her step-father, marrying John Russe.
Abigail married Sherburne Wilson of Ipswich(?), and the Joseph Wilson
who was the first of the name in Andover, and who married John Lovejoy's
daughter in 1670, was perhaps either the young brother-in-law or the
step-son of Abigail. [The last alternative is crossed out in the copy
in the files.]  Thomas Osgood, born after his father's death, married
Susanna Lord, moved to Andover, where he lived until after the birth
of his eleventh child in 1694, and it is supposed that he went to
South Carolina in the Dorchester emigration about 1697.  He had eight
daughters, whose advent among the southern cavaliers must have been
a windfall in the days when wives bought in England or the colonies,
paid their passage by winning a dowry of fifty acres of the common land.
The Osgood girls with their brothers held a good square mile.''

--Historical Andover, no. 28, May 8 1896