Re: Elizabeth Baker

>Leonora that did the drawings in his book was the done that I had a few
>correspondence with.

OK, thanks.  Here she is again:

 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/leonora/

>My relatives were William Baker, Sr. First Deacon married Sarah Osgood

We have him in our database.

>Married 2.  Rebecca Way

She is the same Rebecca Lupton we have as his second wife.
She married first Samuel Way, so she would have been Rebecca Way
when William Baker married her.  See:

 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/baker/wb.html

>William Baker, sr and Sarah had William,

Here's where we start to diverge.  We have such a son,
Major Deacon William Baker, b. ca. 1738,
bapt. with his daughter Ann 24 Sep 1759 (source Stacy's Records p. 233),
d. 12 Nov 1781 (sources Wilson's Annals of Georgia; Stanley's
Liberty Co. Marriages; GCGHS's Early Deaths in Savannah, Georgia).
He married a Mary (surname unknown) who d. 17 July 1767 (Stacy's R. p. 273)
and had four children.  He married second Hannah McCartey (Stacy's R., p. 173)
and they had four children.  See:

 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/baker/majorwb.html

> who married Elizabeth Dunham, Then
>Mrs. Susannah (Dick) Hornsby, then William Baker, Jr.  married Ann Stevens:

We have that William Baker, b. Jul 1749 (epitaph, Midway Cemetery),
d. 5 Nov 1798 (Stacy's R. p. 287, Early Deaths in Savannah, p. 140,
and epitaph).  His will mentions sons William, John Osgood, Daniel,
three daughters not named, and wife Ann.

>their son Joseph Stevens Baker, my ancestor.

They actually had two sons named Joseph Stevens Baker.
The first one was born and died in 1797 and the second one
(your ancestor) was born in 1798.  It was fairly common for
people to reuse names of children who didn't survive.

See:

 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/baker/wbesq.html

>Ann had a brother and he died unmarried and his estate went to  Joseph.
>After William died she married a Girreau (not sure of spelling, I'd have to
>look it up) I do not know if there were any children from this union or not.

We know nothing about her brother or her later marriage.
Would be happy to learn more.

>Another question as there were several other Baker families, no one seems to
>know if they were related.  I believe that they were; with no proof.

We've found that some were; others we don't know.

Here we have a question of which William Baker was the son of
William Baker d. 1767 and Sarah Osgood.

I don't see anything in the sources that says that Major Wm.
Baker's father was Wm. Baker d. 1767.  I could be missing something
but when I look I don't see it.

Now William Baker d. 1767 certainly had a son named William Baker;
he said so in his will, leaving him two lots of land in Sunbury.
But which William Baker was that son?  According to that will, that
son was less than 20 years old in 1765, so he was born in 1745 or later.
A codicil of 15 April 1767 to the will says that the elder Wm. Baker
has already given lands to Rebecca Jones, but doesn't mention Wm. Jr.
being of age yet, so we can guess that Wm. Jr. was born after 15 April 1747.

That may be enough to distinguish the two younger William Bakers.
The one who was baptized with his daughter in 1759 most likely was
not born after 1747, unless he had that daughter when he was 12 years old.
If he was the same one who had a brand registered in 1765, he also probably
was not born after 1747, since he would have been only 18.  We think this
Wm. Baker is the Major William Baker who died 1781 and is identified
in that and other documents as having a son named Artimus or Artemas.
Let's call him Major Wm. Baker.

Your William Baker d. 1798 and called William Baker Esq. on his tombstone,
who m3. Ann Stevens, was born in 1749.  Wm. Baker Esq. thus could easily
be son of William Baker d. 1767.

Wm. Baker Esq. and Elizabeth Dunham had quite a few children, two of whom
were named Sarah Osgood Baker and John Osgood Baker.  Why would that couple
name two children with a middle name Osgood?  The usual reason would be that
one of the grandparents was named Osgood.  Also, they had a child named
William Baker III.  That normally means that the father was a Jr. and his
father would be William Baker Sr.

It looks to me like there's quite a bit of evidence that you are right that
William Baker Esq. b. 1749 was son of William Baker d. 1767.

There are people on this list who know more about Bakers than I do.
What do some of you think?

>Thank you for answering me.  I sent in my family in case there was another
>book, which I heard there might be.  The young gentleman was from
>Friendswood, Texas and I live about 15 miles away in Santa Fe, Texas

So you're near Galveston.  I live near Austin.

Friendswood, Texas?  Ah, that's where Wiley Jarrell lives.
Wiley, are you out there, you young gentleman, you?

>Thank you

No, thank you for all the interesting information.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>