Re: Correct Date of Nazi Surrender to US

In re Allied victory day in Europe May 8, the successors to Hitler did not
want to surrender to the Russians.  Therefore, on May 7 they surrendered to
Eisenhower in a schoolhouse in Rheims, France, east of Paris, where French
kings were traditionally crowned. The Soviets wanted in on the act and all
the documents were resigned the next day in Berlin.  Since the Soviets put up
victory monuments all over Eastern Europe listing the dates of the war as
1941-1945, ignoring the British et al. from 1939, I see no reason why we
should observe May 8 instead of May 7.

Dane Bowen in Alexandria, Va., researching Bowen, Bacon, Carlton (Carleton),
Luker, Sanders (Saunders), Chaudoin (Chaudoins), Maverick, Richey (Ritchie,
Richie, Ritchey), Spence, Sumner, Way, and Wells families.