Fwd: Witch Hunts, etc.

Dear Mr. Quarterman,

   My wife inadvertently sent my message to you to the Clan Sinclair
Discussion List.  I wrote you a message about the family of Henry Way.
    If you don't  receive my message, please let me know and I will send it
again.
    Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dane Bowen

Dear Mr. Quarterman,

      The enclosed E-mail message is for you about the Way family.  If you do
not receive it, please let me know and I will send it again.

Sincerely,

Dane Bowen

Hi -

I'm Dane Bowen and the author of the comments on the witch trials, Ways, and
Mavericks forwarded earlier this week by Susan Sinclair Grady.

All that I forwarded is documented in my recently published history of the
Way family, which is:

A. Dane Bowen, Jr., Ph.D., "Henry Way (1583-1667) and Descendants: Pioneering
Four Centuries Across America," Baltimore, Md., 2001, pp. 484 (page size 8
1\2 x 11),  half-inch margins with more than 5,950 individuals in the index,
buttressed with some 900 footnotes. The family charts taking up 148 pages are
in outline form, 10 font, single spaced, at least one name per line.  These
charts come from not only my efforts but also from 11 other Way genealogists,
working independently and not even acquainted when they began their research.
 These genealogists go back to Charles Granville Way (the source of info on
Big Aaron Way, his children, their spouses, and their descendants) of the
19th and early 20 century, and include Mary Elizabeth Way who died in 1985.
Charles Granville Way's collection of papers, MSS, etc take up 5 linear feet
at the NEHGS in Boston and that of Mary Elizabeth Way 9 linear feet. I spent
days and days working there.

I am not trying to promote or sell my book because it was so well received
that it quickly sold out, multiple purchases for Xmas presents last month
taking the last of them.

The source of Pres. Bush's being descended from Edward I was a Washington
Post article on the occasion of his lunching with Elizabeth II at Buckingham
Palace last year. I believe the date is in a footnote of the book.

The source of the quote on the three-year campaign to oust the Rev. Parris is
from James Savage, "A Genealogical Dictionary of The First Settlers of New
England," Vol IV, replublished Baltimore, 1986, p.439.

The noble and royal ancestry of Mary Gye back over many centuries is too
involved to relate here.  I went to Devon and photographed the family's Manor
House in one place and the ruins of the ancestors (actually Prowse) at
another, and talked to people there. I have down every generation in my book.

The Rev. John Maverick's son oldest son Samuel Maverick had a son who died in
Barbados and left and estate to a son who went to SC, where he had a reversal
of fortune and could no longer afford servants.  Ships of Samuel Maverick and
family traded up and down the Eastern Seaboard in rum, slaves, etc.  A Samuel
Maverick was involved in the Boston Massacre a century later.  I don't think
the connection has ever been made with the early Texas pioneer and cattleman,
Samuel Augustus Maverick, born  in SC, wedded in Ala, and settled in TX

The book has 18 maps, about as many old documents, and about 90 photographs
of landscapes, churches, baptismal fonts, altars (such as the one before
which the Rev. John Maverick married Mary Gye), houses, and the like
associated with the Ways and related families in England, New England, SC,GA,
and TX.

In it are photographs of the site of the parsonage in Salem Village, a
reproduction of the Old Meeting House where the trials took place, a picture
of the house of Mrs. Nurse who was hanged, and of an accuser, all saltbox
types, and the marble monument to the victims of the witch trials. There is
also a map of the area as of 1692 showing the locations of the farms of Arron
Way, jr. Wm. Way, and Bray Wilkins, as well as that of the parsonage and
meeting house, and the hanging hill.

Included in the book are full page reproductions of the sheets on which the
baptism of Aaron Way was recorded in 1613 and his father's remarriage on Feb.
22, 1614/15.  Although one would think these are public records not subject
to copywrite, in fact they are and I had to get written permission to publish
them and had to label them as "copywrite reserved."  The date is definitely
Feb. 22.

I would be happy to send you my personal line but I do not believe I am
descended from any Quarterman.  If memory serves, an Ebenezer Way in SC about
1740 died childless and left some of his estate to a carpentar named
Quarterman, but it was only after Ways and Quartermans went to Midway that
they started intermarrying.  I am descended from Ways who stayed behind in
SC.

If, however, you should ever republish the Quarterman history, I would be
happy to serve gratis, with appropriate recognition, as an author or
co-author of sections on the Ways and Mavericks.

Dane Bowen