Quarterman Dates

   [1]Tomorrow:
   December 3

   1695: Scots Act debated, in House of Lords.

   1695: Settlers try to board, `` `On December the 3, 1695, we, the
   church that was gathered in order to carry the gospel ordinance to
   South Carolina, at this time some of us went into a long boat to go on
   board the brigantine Friendship, of Boston, in New England, in order
   to our passing to Carolina, but missing the vessel at first, by reason
   of the strength of the wind could not come up with her again, but were
   constrained to endure the cold two or three hours before we could get
   at any land, till at lenght we got to Dorchester Neck, and from thence
   returned to Boston all in safety.' '' -- Elder Pratt's Diary, quoted
   by Stacy in his History. Source: Stacy-H

   1818: Illinois becomes 21st state,

   1818: IL,

   1864: Valdosta First Presbyterian Church, Source: PP

   1948: Pumpkin Papers came to light, US v. Alger Hiss - 1949-1950 Hiss
   was accused of perjury involving purported Communist ties. Hiss
   indicated to the Un-American Activities Committee of the House of
   Representatives that he did not know Whittaker Chambers. Chambers
   testified as to his prior association as a soviet sympathizer who
   defected and became a law-abiding American citizen supporter. Much of
   the evidence had to do with interesting, evidentiary items concerning
   a meeting between Hiss and Chambers when Hiss, meeting surreptiously
   in Washington DC with Chambers, observed a prothonatary warbler. The
   case also involved the so-called Pumpkin Papers and a missing
   typewriter on which certain important letters had been typed. Hiss was
   found guilty and sentenced to five years imprisonment and to this day,
   his son and others proclaim his innocence.

   1954: McCarthy condemned, Joseph McCarthy, Senator and witch hunter
   condemned by Senate

   1964: Police arrests 800 at UCal, Berkeley,