Re: William Bartram

First I forgot to mention that Joseph McRobert Baker was a Mayor in l850 from
Jacksonville, Fla.  I do not know the length of term, but  I have a letter
from a Mr. Britton, director of libraries.
Joseph Paschal Baker b. 12-25-l852: lived and worked in Jacksonville, Fla. At
the age of l9, he entered Mercer University at Macon, Ga.  under Dr. Battle,
he studied for two years (l874}, stuied Math, Science, Latin and Greek.  Left
there and taught with John S. Calloway in Taleferrin Co., Ga.
About l879, he was with a wagon train heading to Texas to join his
half-brothers family (the famous evangelist,  Presbyterian Minister, Daniel
Baker).  Small pox was of  on the rampage in Texas.  The train stopped off in
Arkansas.  Joseph liked the looks of the State and decided to stay awhile.
He had a drugstore for awhile in Cleveland Co, Ark, then he ran for Congress
and was defeated. He also was ordained to preach for the Primitive Baptist
Church.  Then he made his home in Drew County, Ark.  He started the first
school in the Valley, married one of his students, Delous Abagail Oslin.
3-l9-l861 daughter of Alva L. Oslin and Anageline Abagail Wright.
He preached all over Drew and Bradley County, Ark.  He brought his field
hands in at noon, feed them and taught them to read and write.  He swam the
swaps to help doctor the sick.  A lot of people referred to him as "Doctor,
Merchant, Chief, etc."  He never cared for wealth, we always wondered why
such an educated man should not have wealth, position, but it seems that it
runs in the family, his grandfather (Joseph Stevens Baker) had been a very
wealthy man with money from his grandmother and Uncle left to him and was
peniless when he died,  U believe that I mentioned before than I was around
the age of 20 when he started telling me stories of Midway, Ga.  He was
always gentle, kind.  Most people knew him as hard taskmaker when it came to
living as a Christian and expected his children to follow his teaching.
Loula and Joseph had the following children:
Joseph McRobert Baker (b 10,24, 1882 d. 11-28-1932)
Alva Beatrice Baker b. 5-l2-l885
Ammie Pearl Baker b. 2-26-1887
Effie Irene Baker B 1-21-1889
Emma Arabelle Baker b. 4-19-1891
Ruby Macy Baker b. 12-12-1892 died 10-7-1896
Captain Elza  D. Baker b. 8-16-1897
Major Linton Kruger Baker b. 3-11-1900 d 5-1923
Loula Agnes b. 11-18-1904
Jessie Mae Baker b. 11-11-1904
Lieutenant Homer Paschal Baker b. 11-16-1906

I am descended from the family of Effie Irene Baker who married Walton
Blackwell, give to you at a later time.
We have a very good church history of Joseph Stevens Baker.
If you can think of something I am not sending, please let me know.
Myrtle Joyce Longcoy