Re: Bakers

>Mine was the Joseph Stevens Baker whose mother was Ann Stevens, his father
>was William and His father was William.
>As soon as I get some time, I will be happy to send my family to you.  I too
>would like to know the Baker connection.
>My great grandfather Joseph Paschal Baker who lived in Drew County, Ark used
>to tell us about his father that lived in the cross land of the country.  I
>was just about 10 and for about 5 more years I heard of the family.
>When I was 25 and starting searching for the family history, his own children
>couldn't answer my questions.
>Joseph Stevens Baker had a half brother, Daniel Baker, who was a famous
>evangelist here in Texas.

We have him in the database, (1791 Liberty Co. Ga. - 1857 Austin Texas)
Says here that he had a D.D. degree, was a Reverend and an Evangelist,
graduated from Princeton in 1815, and was the founder of Austin Presbyterian
Theological Seminary.  His mother was Elizabeth Dunham.

I had thought I had seen somewhere that that Seminary (which is about 4 miles
from where I'm typing) had been founded by a Midway person; here he is.

>   I got some of my first information from a little
>book that William Munsford Baker

We have a William Munford Baker (1825 DC - 1883 Boston)
son of the above Daniel Baker and of Elizabeth McRobert.

> wrote about the life and labors of Daniel Baker.

That book would be interesting to see.  I think I'll go look in the Seminary
library to see if they have a copy.  (They have several other Midway-related
books that are very hard to find elsewhere.)

>  I went to work in 1973 and my family history went on hold as I also
>had 5 children.  Now I am retired and will get things straightened for the
>future. Daniel was a Presbyterian Minister, Joseph, after having become a
>physician, got interested in the Baptist religion, have married a daughter of
>Archibald McRobert (one of first Baptist ministers).  Strange thing, Daniel
>married a McRobert woman also.

That happened a lot in the Midway group; two brothers marrying two sisters.

>Joyce Longcoy

John
[ This is the Quarterman book discussion list, book@mids.org