RE: Royal Physician William Q with Pepys

Dear John,

Yes, indeed you are right about Charles II. Quite a careless gloss on my
part. (But, as a Protestant, it makes me feel a lot better about
possibly being descended from William Q. All in the family, you know...)

Please see my NOTES in your edited message below.

I was very glad for that information connecting William Q to Chalgrove.
Thanks.

Sincerely and Repentantly Yours,
Clay Quarterman

I SUPPOSE IT WAS SOME OF THIS AND MY RECENT READING IN SCOTTISH HISTORY
WHICH LED ME TO CHARACTERIZE CHARLES II IN THIS NEGATIVE WAY.

> I'm curious why you refer to Charles II as Catholic.  He was
> Anglican; at least until his deathbed conversion to
> Catholicism.  It was his brother James, the future James II,
> who was the relatively open Catholic, which was why James was
> later ejected in the Glorious Revolution in favor of William
> of Orange and Mary Stuart, daughter of James II.

> It's somewhat surprising that they would put the entire royal
> family on one ship.

I THOUGHT OF THAT, TOO --MUCH AS TODAY THE PRES. AND VP OF THE U.S.
AREN'T ALLOWED TO TRAVEL TOGETHER. HOWEVER, IN THOSE DAYS, PERHAPS THEY
DIDN'T VIEW A CHANNEL CROSSING IN THE SAME LIGHT AS A SEA VOYAGE, THOUGH
I ONCE HAD A PRETTY ROUGH CROSSING IN A HOVERCRAFT! I SUPPOSE IT WAS
SOMETHING OF A BIG DAY, TO BE ENJOYED TOGETHER BY ALL THE ROYALTY.

[ This is the Quarterman family discussion list, quarterman@quarterman.org
[ To get off or on the list, see http://www.quarterman.org/list.html