Re: Royal Physician William Q with Pepys

Clay,

Glad to see you posting.

A little more about Pepys dining with Dr. Quarterman.
This is from a tattered 1892 copy edited by Henry B. Wheatley
and published by MacMillan.

Footnote about Dr. Clarke:
``2 Timothy Clarke, M.D., one of the original Fellows of the Royal
Society.  He was appointed one of the physicians in ordinary to Charles II,
on the death of Dr. Quartermaine in 1667.''
--Pepys, p. 125, entry for 11 May 1660.

``I dined with Dr. Clerke, Dr. Quarterman, and Mr. Darcy in my cabin.''
Footnote:
2 William Quartermaine, M.D., matriculated as member of Brasenose College,
Oxford, and afterwards removed to Pembroke College.  He was appointed one
of the physicians in ordinary to Charles II, and died in June, 1667.''
--Pepys, p. 144, entry for 23 May 1660.

``There dined with me in my cabin (that is, the carpenter's) Dr. Earle
and Mr. Hollis, the King's Chaplins, Dr. Scarborough, Dr. Quarterman,
and Dr. Clerke, Physicians, Mr. Darcy, and Mr. Fox (both very fine
gentlemen), the King's servants, where we had brave discourse.''
--Pepys, p. 147, entry for 24 May 1660.

According to my grandmother's summary of Carter,
Dr. Quartermaine was from Chalgrove, born in 1619, son of Walter,
grandson of John.  He matriculated at Brasenose College,
Oxford, 16 October 1634, at age 16.  He received his B.A. degree
in June 1635 at Magdalene Hall, his M.A. in 1638, and his M.D.
from Pembroke College in 1657.  He was a physician in the Royal Navy,
where he attended Charles II on the voyage Pepys records.
Then he was a member of Parliament from the Borough of New Shoreham.
And he was appointed physician to the king again.
--Quarterman Family of Liberty County..., pp. 7-8.

Regarding the spelling in Pepys Diary, Pepys wrote in a cipher
of his own devising, which was apparently a sort of shorthand.
He probably wrote ciphers that sounded Quartermaine phonetically,
which the editors then unciphered as Quarterman, since that is
apparently how most of the various British spellings were pronounced.

> I had simply noted
> before that Dr. Quarterman dined with Pepys, without realizing the
> momentous occasion which is only understood by the context in Pepys.
> What becomes clear is that this is THE RESTORATION of Charles II, and they
> actually dine (twice) on board the same ship in which Charles II is being
> conveyed back from the mainland to England for the first time.

That's right; it was a rare example of a mostly bloodless revolution.
Before he was restored, at least; after there were many killings of
opponents of the monarchy, especially in Scotland.

> The conveyance is accompanied with great fanfare and a flotilla of ships.
> They are sent on their way by a cannonade, and greeted in Dover by the mayor
> and a cast of thousands. The really ironic thing to me was that also on
> board is the future King William, the Prince of Orange.  Thus, the Catholic
> and Protestant sail together as the monarchy returns to England. Pepys
> tells of the King telling stories on the forecastle of his sufferings
> and deprivations during the interregnum.

I'm curious why you refer to Charles II as Catholic.  He was Anglican;
at least until his deathbed conversion to Catholicism.  It was his brother
James, the future James II, who was the relatively open Catholic, which
was why James was later ejected in the Glorious Revolution in favor
of William of Orange and Mary Stuart, daughter of James II.

>Also on board were the King, the Dukes of York and Gloster (Gloucester),

The Duke of York was the future James II, brother of Charles II.
The Duke of Gloucester was their brother Henry.

>and the King's sister, the Duchess of Orange "and her son, William, the
>Prince of Orange."

William III of Orange, son of William II of Orange (d. 1650) and Mary Stuart,
sister of Charles II.

It's somewhat surprising that they would put the entire royal family on
one ship.

> Once again, we still know of no official connections between the American
> and British Quartermans, but this also falls close to the period when the
> Quartermans begin to appear in South Carolina. I agree that it is not very
> hopeful, however, to note Dr. Quarterman's close association with the
> anti-protestant Charles II!

I'm not sure he was anti-Protestant, but he was certainly anti-Puritan.

Maybe somebody will eventually find the connection between this William
Quartermaine's family or some other one and the Midway Quartermans.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>
[ This is the Quarterman family discussion list, quarterman@quarterman.org
[ To get off or on the list, see http://www.quarterman.org/list.html