RE: Research ideas

Dear Connie,

Thanks for your recent research on the Blair article. It's good to see
some fresh leads pop up.

Yes, I think you have my lineage down--and I'm quite proud, or should I
say, thankful, to have such a heritage.  A heritage is nothing you can
do anything about--but your reaction to it can mean a lot. I think
that's what gives such meaning to this Quarterman Internet group. We
used to kid my grandfather, accusing him of "ancesto' wo'ship." We told
him, "Don't look too far up your family tree, or you might find a
monkey." Of course, he didn't appreciate that so much, with us not
believing in Evolution.

I was blessed to have known a few of these old Quarterman birds, and
they are quite something--characters all. My Granddad, Thomas Palmer Q.,
was called "Pop" since before I was a baby in 1952 --a monniker taken up
by neighbors, by all at church, and even by his fellow elders in
Mississippi Valley Presbytery. His prayers were deep, with that deep
Southern drawl which was a combination of Tidewater Georgia and his 40
years in New Orleans--with hardly a smattering of Mississippi, where he
lived his last 30 years and died at 93. He was a true Georgia cracker,
and a peach of a guy. I owe most of my theological education to this
dear couple who taught me the Westminster Catechism, still dear to my
heart. He's also the one who took me to Midway, and bought me my own
copy of Stacy's Midway history.

Then there was Pop's sister, Julia Q. Alcorn, who was a real Bible
thumper--literally! (And here I thought _I_ was one!) My wife and I
spent a summer sweltering in her garage apartment in 1975. Julia was a
very strict Sabattarian (part of that Puritan heritage), and loved to
give impromptu Bible lectures to us--and had one of the biggest hearts
around. Her nightly family prayers, like her brother's, showed such
respect for our Divine Lord that thou couldest only but feel the
Presence of Heaven. (I wish I could pray like that!!) Of course, the
prayers of both these saints always began, "Deah Lawd...".  I think it
is in these two praying souls that I FELT the Quarterman heritage. The
Puritans believed in the Covenant--that by believing parents training
their children (by word and example), the children would also come to
faith--and they have, and they have, and they have...though we don't
deserve it. I think this is the true testimony and ongoing glory of the
Midway congregation.

Another relative I met in Savannah was closer related to you than to me
-- Ed Quarterman, whose father was Luther Q.  He was also a good
Presbyterian elder in 1975 in the small church I served there
(Chapel-in-the-Gardens Pres. Church). Just for fun, Ed used to fix the
historic clock in the historic Independent Presbyterian Church in
downtown Savannah. He had such a heart for evangelism that he went on to
work in an evangelical tape library in Pensacola, and I believe he and
Mary are still there. His father Luther reprinted the Stacy book, with
colorful illustrations by Ed's sister--she was also a jewel we got to
know back in '75.

We ended up over here in Ukraine rather by default. We felt called
originally to Brazil, then spent 14 years in Portugal, and then when the
Berlin Wall came down, realized the historic moment, and were called to
take part in some really exciting stuff. In spite of personal lack of
comfort, I feel we were really blessed to be here just to see God at
work--to see him actually change lives. Whereas in Portugal things were
so much slower, here we actually got to see things happen. Not the least
of which was that the new church we planted was able to "inherit back" a
building worth $6 million! Of course, it needs repair, and I was able to
raise $1 million for that, which goes on. But I never dreamed I'd be
here. Exciting times.

I'm now involved in theological education--as president of the
Evangelical Reformed Seminary of Ukraine (ERSU). We have 20 students,
and 8 more applying for fall. Besides that, I'm working on a PhD, so I
manage to stay busy!!

Regarding geneology, I sadly don't have much time to invest in it right
now, but I still have this gut feeling that we're related to the
Brits...    Since nothing is turning up in the traditional places, I
wonder if someone shouldn't go the route less traveled, and check in
some out of the way places like Barbados, Bermudas, Bahamas,
etc.--doesn't sound like a bad assignment! It could be Robert Q. came
via one of those other routes for some reason, and knew of the
settlement in SC, or had old friends from Oxfordshire who settled there,
etc.

We're heading out in 10 days for a much-needed vacation in London.
Probably won't get out to Oxford, Thame, & Chalgrove this time, so I
can't make any more dubious rubbings. They may not be Quartermans, but I
had fun making them, and they hang in prominence in our front hall and
den. Whoever they are, they had to know some Quartermans, too.

Thanks again for writing. Good to hear.

Sincerely Yours,
Clay Quarterman
Odessa, Ukraine