Re: Quarterman Dates

>   [1]Tomorrow:
>   March 30
>
>   1630:  Mary  and  John sails from Plymouth, ``In the early part of the
>   year  1630,  a company of Puritan emigrants, gathered principally from
>   the  counties  of  Devon,  Dorcet,  and  Somersetshire, met at the New
>   Hospital,  Plymouth,  England,  with  a  view of emigrating to the New
>   World.  After  a  day of fasting and prayer, and a sermon by Rev. John
>   White,  who  had  manifested  deep interest in their undertaking, they
>   selected  Rev.  John  Warham,  of  Execeter, and Rev John Maverick, as
>   their  ministers.  On  March  30,  1630,  the  colony embarked for New
>   England,  in a vessel of four hundred tons, chartered for the purpose,
>   named  Mary  and  John, and commanded by Captain Squeb. There were one
>   hundred  and forty passengers -- a company of God-fearing people -- as
>   we  are  told,  `the  word of God was preached and expounded every day
>   during the voyage.' '' -- Stacy, History.

This was the beginning of the Dorchester, Mass. colony, which was the
source successively of the Dorchester, S.C. and Midway, Ga. colonies.
In each of those successive moves, most of the people were already
in a group in the previous colony (from Mass. to S.C. in 1695-7 and
from S.C. to Ga. in 1752-6.  Thus 1630 was when our ancestors
first gathered together.

So tomorrow, 30 March 1630, can be viewed as the 373rd anniversary
of the origin of the community that became 124 years later in 1754
the Society Settled upon Midway and Newport in Georgia.

Not many of our ancestors were actually on that ship; many of them
arrived later.  The big mystery is of course still where were the
Quartermans?  Quartermans in England tended to be from Oxfordshire,
not Devon, Dorcet, or Somerset; they were not on that ship; nor were
they in New England.  They appear mysteriously in South Carolina in 1965.

Some ancestors were on that ship, however, for example Rev. Maverick.
I think both William Sumner and Henry Way came slightly later.
Perhaps Dane Bowen can say more.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>