Re: Quarterman Dates

>I have always thought that Castro was a direct result of errors on the part
>of the US government.  Let's consider the following:
>
>1.  Batista was a former Army Sgt. of decided thuggish tendencies and
>limited education.  To the best of my recollection, he was involved in some
>shady deal with Eleanor Roosevelt and one of her sons.  I think it concerned
>a radio station or permission to set one up.
>
>2.  A neighbor who was a retired Navy chief said that when he was stationed
>in Guantanomo, Castro as a college student worked for him during a summer
>school break.  He said that at that time Castro considered the US as a
>shining beacon and only hoped to see Cuba copying our example.

This was not the only case.
Ho Chi Minh also looked to the U.S. as an example of at least some of
what he wanted, applied to FDR for assistance in keeping the French
from coming back in after WW II, and liberally borrowed from the U.S.
Declaration of Independence in the one he wrote for Vietnam.

> I believe the US government supported Batista and didn't understand that
>Castro was the voice of Cuba's future.

Determining the difference between nationalism and ideology more than
once seems to have been a difficult task for the U.S.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>