Re: Renchie Norman

For those Quartermans of the "Three Thomas" line (Thomas I, Thomas II, Thomas III), Renchie presents an enigma.  If I were a novelist, I would jump on her story.  She stikes me as something of a rebel.  First she married young for the Midway group--married Thomas at about 17.  He died a year later.  She married an older man--John Elliott's son John would already have been in his teens, right?--and she was barely twenty.  John Elliott died a year later, and next she married a--how do we put this delicately?--a YANkee!!:{  Surely she must have raised some eyebrows in her day.  Then, by today's standards, she died young--just 37.  Her vital statistics raise a great many questions.

Incidentally, my genealogy projects for 2003 include tracing out the Normans.  I've seen a great deal of chatter among descendants of Dochester S.C. Normans on the Norman genealogy message boards.  They all seem to trace back to a Captain Richard Norman born in--get this--Dorchester, England.  The family settled around Marblehead in Massachusetts.  Some may have spent time in Connecticut before migrating to South Carolina.  There were quite a lot of them in the Goose Creek area, perhaps even before others arrived.  It's all sketchy at this point.  Beyond the Three Thomas line, findng out more about William Norman, who went to Mass. to look for a pastor in 1684, may tell us all a little more about what went on behind the scenes to precipitate the migration.

I'll pass information along as I find it.

-Connie