Re: Quarterman Dates

>Please refresh my memory.  Would Cromwell's new government later be sympatheti
>c to our Puritan dissidents in England?

Indeed.  Cromwell was a Puritan, and the English Civil War was mostly
about religion.  He became Lord Protector of the Commonwealth.

This period, which started around 1640 with revolts against taxes
imposed by Charles I, extended until 1660, with the restoration of Charles II.

Our Robert Quarterman of South Carolina, father of John Quarterman Sr.
of Midway, had a grant of land in S.C. in 1698 and died in 1710.  If he
lived about the usual lifespan, such as 70 years, he was born around 1640.
He was clearly a dissenter, as anybody who was not a member of the
Church of England was called, because he joined the congregationalist
colony and church in S.C.  Birth records for that time were sometimes
confused, and dissenters births might not even be recorded.  Many records
were no doubt lost by acts of war.  All this doesn't help find the solution
to our biggest puzzle: where did Robert Quarterman come from?

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>