Re: Puritans

I wish I had gotten interested in family history as early as you did.  I knew my grandmother, "Dandy," from Flemington in Liberty County, and knew that somehow my family was important and had helped found Midway and Liberty County.  There's a story about some great-great-great-grandpa Quarterman who was just a boy when Sherman's troops occupied the county.  One of the troops got drunk and pointed his rifle at the boy and almost shot him.  Another union soldier pushed the gun up, and so the shot went into an upper story or roof of the family home, which retained that hole until the house burned in the early-mid 1900's.  I'll have to ask my mother the details of that story.  I think she was born or grew up in that house, or maybe it was my grandmother.  See my dilemma?  If I'd gotten interested early enough, I could have asked Dandy kinds of questions before she passed away in '82.

It sounds like you know a great deal of your branch's part of the family tradition.  Those old stories are the best!!

--- message from Slongcoy@aol.com attached:

Well, I got interested in my family history when I was 10.  We had a large reunion every year,  singing, eating, games, etc.
Mine was spent at my great grandfather's knee, (Joseph Paschal Baker) telling me and others about the place his relatives came from, which was Midway, Ga.  The most wonderful people from all walks of life and went into just about every field.  Teddy Roosevelt was one of those.  His mother did water colors and she gave her best friend one of these.  Years later after she had passed away, Teddy visited the area and my cousin, one of the Bakers.  gave him the watercolor.
I have never been to Miday, would like to before I die, but I would differ with you on the watermelons.  The best sweetest watermelons come from Hope, Arkansas.  Monticello was the home of my birth.
Myrtle Joyce Wright Longcoy