Re: Way Book on CD Disk: Midway Church Was Fortified in Rev. War

Subj:   Re: Way Book on CD Disk: Midway Church Was Fortified in Rev. War
Date:   4/20/2002 4:44:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:   jsq@quarterman.org
To: book@quarterman.org
Sent from the Internet (Details)

John -

My reply has been delayed by a serious problem in my family.

 Quarterman:
"You've previously cited your source for Henry Way coming on the
Mary and John in 1631.  We'll add that to the sources in our database,
and I will when I have time find a copy of it."

Bowen:
What I said was that Henry Way came on the Mary and John in 1630.

Quarterman:
"If you're referring to Lt. Richard Way b. 1624 d. 1697, who served
under Capt. Appleton in King Phillip's War, what his will actually
says is "Having no reason to believe any of my own children are surviving".
In other words, all his children died before he did.
All of the death dates we know of for his children are indeed earlier
than his.  That's not the same as having no descendants.

He had five children by his first wife, three by his second, and one
grandchild.

Sources:
``English Origin of Henry Way,'' The American Genealogist, V61, p251-256.
``Bray Wilkins of Salem Village, MA. & his Children,'' by David L. Greene,
     American Genealogist, V60, Jan. 1984, p. 1.
The Way Family, by Mary E. Way, 1969.
Search for the Passengers of the Mary and John 1630, by Burton W. Spear.
Boston Town Records (for marriage date to Hannah Townsend).

Lt. Richard Way had a son Richard Way b. 1655.
m. 1694 Hannah Perkins "who survived him 20 years".

They had one child, Sarah Way b. 1696 m. 1713 William Emons
We know of no children of this couple.

Sources:
The Way Family, by Mary E. Way, 1969.
Search for the Passengers of the Mary and John 1630, by Burton W. Spear.

We have found no further descendants of this line."

Bowen:
Not having a data base in my computer, I must rely on the data in my head and
what is in my Way family history inasmuch as I have too much on my plate just
now to go through old files.  I recall Mary E. Way mentioning report of a
grandchild without giving a name or details. Richard Way actually had four
wives. The Quarterman book, p. 719,  says that wife no. 2, Bethia Mayhew, is
buried at Copp's Hill, Boston.  The only record of a wife of his being buried
there that I know of  is the one named "Kathron." I spent part of two days
searching for the Way stone there, which I photographed and reproduced in my
book.  With its skull and crossbones, it says it is Kathron Way, wife of
Richard Way. The Quarterman book also on p. 719 mentions Lt. Richard Way and
Kathron as having no children "recorded in this data base."  But on p. 715 it
shows Kathron Way who died in 1689, the same date on the above mentioned
stone, as being the daughter of Lt. Kathron Way and sister of Richard Way,
Jr.  Her married name, of course, was Way.  Since the two Mather ministers of
Aaron Way, Sr. are also buried here and since Aaron Way, Sr. died just across
the river at his farm, in all likelihood he and his wife as well are also
buried here but their stones have been lost.

Quarterman:
Aaron Way, Jr. was accompanied to South Carolina by two brothers, William and
>Moses. Confusing Aaron Way, Sr., with Aaron Way, Jr., the Quarterman book
>mistakenly characterized the blood relationship between the two brothers
>Aaron Way, Jr. and William, living near each other five miles north of Salem
>village next to their relative Bray Wilkins.

We have Aaron Way Jr. and William Way as brothers, sons of Aaron Way Sr.,
with both of them moving to S.C. after Aaron Sr. died.

>From the above paragraph, I can't work out what you think is mistakenly
characterized.  Could you elaborate?

Bowen:

The Quarerman book confuses Aaron Way, Sr. and Aaron Way,Jr. in different
places. On p. 713 Aaron Way, Jr. is incorrectly described as a son instead of
grandson of Henry Way. On p. 722 is the incorrect statement that "William and
his nephew Aaron Way….owned land…."  They were brothers, sons of Aaron Way,
Sr. On the same page Hannah Way is described as a "half-sister of William
Way."  She was a half sister of his father, Aaron Way , Sr."

Quarterman:

>And I have never found any convincing evidence that the George Way of Conn.

Presumably you're referring to one of these three:

George Way b. 1614, Dorset, England,
m. 1650 at Boston
Elizabeth ? b. ca. 1630 d. 20 Apr. 1713, New London, Conn.

George Way b. 1655 Providence, R.I. d. Conn.
m.
Susannah Nest

George Way b. bef. 1696, Lyme, Conn.
m. 1713
Lydia Sprague

Please clarify.

Bowen:

At one time I was trying to sort out the George Ways and could not find in
the Library of Congress your footnote source of "Dunavant."  Some three years
ago I sent you an e-mail about general sources and you replied you were
referring it to your two brothers.  I never heard further and lost interest
in the George Ways.  I have always been puzzled by the monument at Midway
about Congregationalists coming from Conn.  The Rev. John Maverick died in
1636 when he was planning to join his flock in swarming and flying off to
what became Windsor, Conn. where they later argued they were the original
church "gathered" on board the Mary and John in the old harbor of Plymouth,
England.  It was 60 years later after the Salem witch trials and the death of
Aaron Way, Sr., that the Ways and company swarmed  in Mass. and flew off to
SC, arriving in 1697, not 1695 as stated in different places in the
Quarterman book.  And it was another half century before they swarmed against
and flew off to Midway.

I do not believe the entry for Geo Way as a son of Henry Way on p. 714 of the
Quarterman book is correct.  The son of Henry Way named George must have been
the one killed by the Indians in the winter of 1632-1-2 or the one blown
overboard on the Lyon in 1631.

The only Geo Way of note that I am aware of was the wealthy
"merchant-adventurer," a glover of Dorchester who was probably a brother of
Henry Way.  Charles Granville Way believed so in any event although he never
proved it.  Dorchester and Bridport are only 15 miles apart.  This Geo Way
invested in the Dorchester Company, and was one of the few investors who did
not sour on the company when the settlement at Cape Ann did not pan out.  He
stayed with the company when it was reorganized as the Mass. Bay Co., went to
Mass., acquired a big land grant in Maine, returned to Dorchester, England,
and died as he was preparing to go to America again.  Given the policy of
naming the oldest sons for the father because of primogentiture and in case
the father died before making out a will, any Geo Way surviving in Mass, and
even R.I. or Conn. probably descends from this Geo. Way.  But as I say, I
never found more on them.

By deleting maps and pictures I have squeezed my Way book on a single CD-ROM
disk and will sell it for $36 plus $3.95 for mailing first class in a padded
envelop.  Those interested can send a check to:

Dane Bowen
6330 Hillcrest Place
Alexandria, Va. 22312

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>