Re: Quarterman Dates

>The French and Indian War was known in Europe as the Seven Years War.

That's right.

There had already been fighting for a couple of years before
Parliament got around to declaring war on France.  In particular,
George Washington had already taken command of General Braddock's
army on 13 July 1755 after Braddock died.  Washington then defeated
the French near Ft. Duquesne, which was later named Pittsburgh
after William Pitt the elder who as Prime Minister won the war.

 http://www.usahistory.com/wars/sevenyrs.htm

So far as I know, none of the fighting in this war occured in Georgia.
However, there were effects.  During the war, France lost all its
eastern North American and Caribbean island possessions, and Spain
lost Havana.  During the horse trading after the war, Spain got Havana
back in exchange for East Florida (roughly what we now know as Florida),
and France got most of its islands back.  But the European powers ceded
to Britain all of North America east of the Mississipi (except New Orleans)
from the Gulf to the Arctic.  And France gave Louisiana to the Spanish.

The Spanish threat in Florida that Georgia was founded to buffer was gone.
London also chose to draw a western boundary for the existing colonies
at the Appalachian Mountains.  Both these things affected Georgia.

 http://www.publicbookshelf.com/public_html/The_Great_Republic_By_the_Master_Historians_Vol_II/frenchand_ba.html

Here's a map of British North America in 1755, at the start of the war:
 http://www.philaprintshop.com/images/tirionna.jpg

And here's one of the effects of the Proclamation of 7 Oct 1763:
 http://www.philaprintshop.com/images/gmag1063.jpg

Descriptions are here:
 http://www.philaprintshop.com/frchind.html

Here's a more legible (and bigger) map of the situation after the war:
 http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/shepherd/british_colonies_1763-76.jpg

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>