Quarterman Dates

   [1]Tomorrow:
   May 12

   1758: Samuel Jeans and family, settle in Midway and Newport, Georgia.

   1791:  Midway  addresses  Washington, The Church and Society of Midway
   and  Newport  addressed  President  Washington  during  his  visit  to
   Georgia.  ``The  hatchet  is  now buried, and we smoke with our Indian
   neighbors the calumet of peace.'' Source: Stacy-R

   1791: Pres. Washington in Savannah,
   [2]On  this  morning  President  Washigton  visited  Purrysburg on the
   Savannah  River  --  his  last visit in South Carolina. There, Georgia
   officials  met  Washington  to escort him onto a barge-like vessel for
   the  twenty-five  mile  trip  to Savannah. As the river took them past
   Mulberry  Grove  plantation,  Washington  had made plans to stop so he
   could  visit  Catharine  (Caty)  Greene,  widow  of Revolutionary Gen.
   Nathanael  Greene.  Washington  spent several hours with his long-time
   friend  and  promised  to  stop  by  again  in four days on his way to
   Augusta. Arriving in Savannah after sundown, Washington found the city
   brightly illuminated in celebration of his visit. Thus began four days
   of  ceremonies, receptions, dinners, dances, and other formalities for
   Savannah's most important visitor in its 58-year history.