Re: Midway 1925

Thanks for the wonderful photos.  You've put up a number of them on the site, and they're all interesting.

I believe we may need to rethink the dating on the pictures of Midway Church with surrounding stores.  I thought I read somewhere that the concrete road (U.S. 17) was first proposed in 1926, then widened in the 1950's.  If you'll note, the pavement is not there in Jane's picture dated 1925.

Although the slogans on the stores are older, proprietors could have left old signs up after the slogans have changed.  At least that was common when I was growing up in rural Chatham county in the '60s.  :-)  Besides, is it just me, or don't those signs look like they've aged a bit before the photo was taken?

Here's a possible scenario: The stores were built between 1916-1922.  Your Aunt Jane took her photo in 1925, moving in close enough to leave out the stores.  Then the road was paved after 1926, and Mr. LeConte's picture with concrete road and stores was taken.

-Connie

P.S.  I'll see if I can hunt up a source for the age of the highway.