Quarterman Dates

   [1]Tomorrow:
   December 2

   1804: Napoleon emperor of the French, placing crown on his own head

   1805: Austerlitz, Napoleon defeats Russians & Austrians

   1816:  First  savings  bank  in US, opens as Philadelphia Savings Fund
   Society

   1823:  Monroe  doctrine,  US  President Monroe declares in his seventh
   annual  message  to  the US Congress, "the American continents, by the
   free  and  independent condition which they have assumed and maintain,
   are   henceforth   not   to  be  considered  as  subjects  for  future
   colonization by any European powers."

   1852:  Emperor  Napoleon III, French monarchy restored; Louis Napoleon
   becomes  emperor  One  year  before to the day, followers of President
   Louis  Bonaparte (Napoleon's nephew) broke up the Legislative Assembly
   and   established  a  dictatorship.  A  year  later,  Louis  Bonaparte
   proclaimed  himself  Emperor  Napoleon  III. Marx wrote The Eighteenth
   Brumaire  of  Louis  Napoleon between December 1851 and February 1852.
   The  "eighteenth  Brumaire"  refers  to November 9, 1799 in the French
   Revolutionary Calendar..

   1859:  John  Brown  hung, "Now if it is deemed necessary that I should
   forfeit  my life for the furtherance of the ends of justice and mingle
   my  blood  further with the blood of my children and with the blood of
   millions in this slave country whose rights are disregarded by wicked,
   cruel  and unjust enactments, I say, let it be done." Browns speech to
   the court

   1899: Samoa divided, US & Germany agree to divide Samoa between them

   1954:  McCarthy  censured,  US  Senate  censures  Joe McCarthy for his
   conduct

   1956: Cuban Revolution [begin], Source: ToW