Emerson, Quartermans of Pennsylvania

Recently I ordered and received a copy of
The Quartermans of Pennsylvania ca. 1750 to 1860
by Ann-Jannette Emerson.  It's an vii + 88 page
8.5x11 inch book.

I'm still reading it, but my impression thus far
is that it's a solidly researched and referenced
work of genealogy and history.  It's also quite readable.

Here's how you can get one:

 http://www.quarterman.org/books/emerson.html

The Pennsylvania Quartermans appear to have no relation to
other U.S. Quarterman groups.

However, there are some items in this book that are
relevant to other lines.

For one thing, she cites an entry from Filby's Passenger and Immigration
Lists Index 1538-1940 for Robert Quarterman, immigrated to South Carolina,
year 1670 to 1698.  I'd like to see what Filby's evidence is.  From the
vague date, I'd guess he simply inferred that Robert must have immigrated
during those years.

For another, she asserts that Quartermus and Quartermis were variations
on the Quarterman name that were frequently used in early British and
American records, along with less frequent uses of other variations
such as Quartermas and even Quartermaster, sometimes for the same
person on the same page.  This is in addition to the more usual
Quartermaine, Quaterman, Quartermain, Quatermaine, variations.

When I researched the Maryland Quartermans, I deliberately did not use
records for Quartermus, because I assumed that was a different family.
There were more Quartermus records than Quarterman ones.  So we need to
reopen the Maryland case.

Emerson includes a few Maryland records for probate for two people named
John Quartermus and one named James Quartermus.  If we assume one of these
was the same as the John Quarterman previously researched for Maryland,
that would explain what happened to him; he died in 1694 in Ann Arundel
County, Maryland.  That date would work well with a son of his moving to
S.C. in 1695, although there is no direct evidence.  But there might be,
in other Maryland records for Quartermus.

The Pennsylvania Quartermans had one obvious feature that makes them
seem familiar: they were long-lived.  In particular, their progenitor,
a John Quarterman, lived to be 108 years old.

A big difference is that Ann Emerson has apparently traced this progenitor
back to England, including how and when he came to America.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>