Re: William Graves

Here is what I worked from:

Caroline T. Moore and Agatha Aiumar Simons, Abstracts of the Wills of the State of
South Carolina. p. 7.

>From Will Book 1740-1747 p. 58

 Joanna Sumner, St. Paul's Parish, Colleton County. Husband: Joseph,
 deceased. Son: William Baker. Daus: Susanna Sumner; Elizabeth and
 Marsey Quarterman. Grandchildren: Thomas, John and William Graves,
 sons of Moses and Sarah Graves, deceased; John, Ann, and Elizabeth,
 children of William Elliott, deceased; Elizabeth and Sarah, children
 of John Baker, deceased. Mentions: if Dau. Susannah Sumner dies
 without lawful issue, then legacy left her from her father's estate
 to be divided ``amongst my Surviving Children.'' Exors: son-in-law
 John Quarterman; son William Baker; daus. Marsey Quarterman and
 Susannah Sumner. Wit: John Sumner, Richard Girardeau, Benjamin Baker.
 D: 21 Feb. 1741. P: 6 Oct. 1741. R: 1 Dec 1741

Gregorie, Records of the Court of Chancery of S.C. 1671-1779 pp. 252-254
She is being sued as widow of Thomas Baker in 1719 by his daughter
Mary Baker and her husband George Flood.

This makes it look like she may have married Joseph Sumner second, not first
as Pam Blum and Blanchard Drake Smith have it. Thus my mistake as to surname
of Sarah, her daughter who married Moses Graves.

I've not seen this Baker info that Pam and Blanchard have for the early
generations.

I have a problem with Richard Baker being the son of Joanna and Thomas Baker
if Joanna md. Thomas Baker in 1702 and under Richard Baker Pam lists his
wife being born in 1630. This makes me suspect Pam's work as not being
careful.

Blanchard's list of children looks much more reasonable for Thomas and Joanna.
It lists the Baker children from Joanna's will, but misses the daughter
Susanna Sumner.

In neither case is any documentation listed.

					David