Re: Thank you for your help and insights

Things I have learned about the Revolutionary War from genealogy.

Here are a couple from Midway:
1. It was a continuation of the revolution begun by Oliver Cromwell. One of
the
British generals referred to Midway as the "sons of Oliver." It was Midway's
ties
to New England dissenters that made it a hot bed of revolution. I get the
distinct
impression that the real passion for revolution came from members of
Calvinits
dissenting churches (Congregationalists, Presbyterians, Baptists, French
Calvinists).

2. Loyalist sentiment was very strong in the South, particularly in Georgia.

I don't know what to make of it, but I have discovered a couple of things
that I
am still trying to understand the dynamics.

I have at least three daughters of Loyalists, including one Loyalist that
was killed
fighting for the British at the Battle of Hanging Rock in South Carolina,
who married
revolutionary soldiers. He was fighting for a South Carolina militia unit
loyal to the
British.

If a family record is to be believed, the first Tucker in my line got off
the ship from
England in Virginia (at age 16) and almost immediately joined the
revolutionary army.
He "fired cannons until blood ran from his ears and nose."  By the way,
somehow he
got bounty lands as a revolutionary veteran in three different lotteries in
Georgia
(Washington 1797, Wayne County 1806, and Cherokee in 1832). There is no
record of where he served because he never applied for a pension.

That's more than a couple.
Hugh