re: Shepards and Robarts

This is the full text of James Shepard's will as requested in an earlier note: Note that Elizabeth Shepard (James's wife) is named as Exectrix at the time of probate. As of the time of this (James Shepard's) will, John Roberts is about 19 years old and Thomas Shepard is six years old.

Charleston Wills vol.8 p328-329

WILL OF JAMES SHEPHEARD (Shepard)

South Carolina, In the Name of God  Amen the Sixteenth day of February  One Thousand Seven Hundred and Fifty nine James Shepheard of St Bartholomew Paris and Colleton Count and Province aforesaid Black Smith being of  Perfect Mind and Memory, Thanks be Given unto God therefore Calling unto mind the Mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all Men Once to die do make and ordain this my last will and Testament, that is to say Principally and First of all I give and recommend my Soul into the hands of almighty God that gave it And my Body I Recommend to the Earth to be buried in a decent Christian Burial at the discretion of my Execrs Nothing doubting but at the Generall ReSsurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God and Toutching such worldly Estate werewith it has pleased God to BleSs me with  in this life I Give demise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form, First I give and bequeath unto my beloved son Thomas Shepheard and my Son in Law John Roberts all my Personal and Real Estate to be Equally divided Between them and this Said John Roberts to have his disvision (or share) when he arrives to the Years of Twenty One, I do hereby Constitute and Appoint the whole and sole Execrs of this my Last Will and Testament viz James Sharp Esq. And my beloved Wife So Long As she shall Remain a widow & my Son in Law when he shall arrive at the Age above mentioned And I do hereby utterly revoke disallow and disannul all former Bequests Wills and Legacies by me heretofore in anywise Left or made declaring Ratifying and Confirming this and no other to be my Last Will and Testament, IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto Sett my hand and Seal the day and Year First above Written

James Shepard (Seal)

Signed and Delivered In the

Presence of

George Johnson     George Dupont jun

John Mitchell

The above Will was Proved before the

Oridnary the 12th day of April 1759 at the same

time Qualified  Eliz Shepp’d as Extrx

Recorded in original Will book 1757-1760 Page 192.