Re: Congregationalist or Puritan

I've been intrigued by the way Puritan practices survived in our Midway colony so late in American history--right up until the mid 1800's, I guess, when the society dispersed and other churches (Walthourville, etc.) rose up to replace it.  I can't think offhand of the quote in the book about the man who visited during the 1800's and commented on the genteel Puritan community, or something like that.

How were their practices preserved so intact while other Puritan communities in New England were swallowed up by history?

My working hypothesis is that perhaps it was BECAUSE they were a more moderate form of Puritanism, their beliefs and practices were more sustainable to future generations.  What do you think?
-Connie