Re: Sumner ancestors

Yes, hello and am I glad you are there.  There is so much information about relatives that it unbelieveable.  When we moved from Arkansas to Houston, Texas and then I had five stairsteps of three boys and two girls.  I did a lot of writing that I had remembered Joseph Paschal Baker had told me about,  I'm 71 and haven't given up.  I say I'm not going to do anymore and I have yet to really make that decision because it is so interesting.
Daniel Baker needed to raise some money for the Church and Joseph Stevens Baker was going to medical school.  Part time job he was a clerk for the government.  He knew one of the Admirals and asked to have a fund raising on one of the battleships.  They made arrangements to do so and made a good bit of money.  One of the big guys found out about it and complained about it being a Presbyterian Church raising money.  Joseph Stevens Baker was fired from his job.  I always kinda thought it was funny.  It was a good thing Joseph had inherited a good bit of money from his mother and her brother.  He was penniless when he died because he had given everything he had to people who needed help.  They said that friends jumped in and paid the funeral expenses and that he had the largest crowd ever at the funeral because he was so well liked.
Did you know they said that he was a very powerful writer, more so than a speaker as he suffered from a hearing loss. Joseph was married to a Miss McRobert and second to William Bennett's widow.
He started the first newspaper in Atlanta, Ga. "the illuminary".  By the way the Presbyterian Church historical foundation was certainly very courteous to me way
back when  I was looking for information.
Myrtle Joyce