Re: Elizabeth Baker

I have a question regarding the book's discussion of the two Elizabeth Bakers who married John Quarterman Senior.  I'm a bit confused by the dates of the births of John's children, including Thomas Sr.

According to the book John Quarterman Sr. married Elizabeth Baker, dau of Thomas Baker, at an unknown date in South Carolina.  This Elizabeth then died in 1753 in South Carolina.

Then John Sr. married another Elizabeth Baker, dau of Richard Baker Sr., who died in 1755 in Liberty County, Georgia.

The children were born on the following dates:
John Junior, (perhaps born 1733, if 21 when he married in 1754).
Thomas Sr. was born 1738.
Robert born 1742.
Captain William born 1746.

Some of these birth dates are verified by epitaphs, DAR applications, etc.  I see others are taken from Stacy's work.

Although it would make sense to assume these children would be born to Elizabeth dau of Thomas, the previous wife, the book just says that Stacy seems to believe the children were from Elizabeth dau of Richard, who had to have married John Sr. in 1753 or thereafter.

Did Stacy, in his book, use any sources to back up his belief that these were the children of Eliz. dau Richard?  The dates just don't seem to add up, unless they were all born out of wedlock (tongue in cheek, of course--John Sr. maintained a high standing in a Puritan-descended society).

So I guess my question is two-fold.
1/ Why did Stacy believe these to be the children of Eliz. dau Richard?
2/ Why do we continue to follow that line if the dates don't add up?

I'm still enjoying the book, by the way.  I keep going over and over it and catching new things.  I love the stories!!

-Connie