Re: Ancestral stomping grounds

>This has been a fun day for me and the Quartermans aren't
>even my ancestors!  But we dragged my husband along &
>maybe a few of his mother's genes sat up & took notice.
> How she would have loved to be with us!
>
>Our son & family live in Maidenhead, just west of London.
> Today our daughter-in-law drove us up to Oxfordshire,
>just a short drive from here.  We went to St. Mary's,
>Chalford - such a quaint place, & we were able to get in
>the church & prowl around to our heart's content.  Bought
>some of the literature about the church, & took pictures,
>etc.  Then the key-keeper told us how to get to Rydcote
>Chapel - which was closed, but we took a couple of
>pictures there, too.

Would you be willing to scan them for posting on the web?
Pictures of Rycote seem to be few and far between.  I found
a couple here:
 http://www.aylesburyvale.net/tourism/south/info/housegdn/rycote/

Here are some historical tidbits about Richard Quartermain:
 http://www.thamehistory.net/timeline/tln6.htm

> From there to St. Mary's at Thame,
>where the nice people tending the church didn't know north
>from south but were able to make a call which solved the
>riddle of where the Quarterman tombs were.  I wasn't
>expecting brasses, too!  They said they don't allow
>rubbing, but I suspect my d-i-l will talk them into it -
>she'd love to take the our grand-children up there & that
>would be the lure.  The brasses aren't in very good
>condition, so I don't blame them for not allowing rubbing.

Did they look similar to the brasses in Chalgrove,
as seen in Clay's rubbings?
 http://www.quarterman.org/pictures/clay/

Maybe you can photograph the brasses at St. Mary's at Thame.

> All in all, it was a fun day.  We aren't going to get to
>Bridport, as I had hoped, but this was great!

There's always another trip.

>Nancy

John