Re: Way Book on CD Disk: Correct Date of the Way Arrival in SC

I have the same information in my Way book.  On p. 120 I have a quote listing
the same eight men.  The quote is from Harold Field Worthley, An Inventory of
the Records of the Particular (Congregational) Churches of Massachusetts
Gathered 1620-1805, Cambridge, Mass., 1970, p. 3. I too have info from the
First Church of Dorchester and from Stacy, quoting Elder Pratt.

While apparently there was no Way in the advance party, there was Deacon
Increase Sumner, brother of Aaron Way, Sr.'s widow, Joanna Sumner Way.

That the advance party returned from SC to Mass. is indicated from the fact
that Elder Pratt and Deacon Increase Sumner, among others, made both trips.

The Rev. Norman, who was from Carolina, no doubt stayed in SC after the first
trip. In the summer of 1696 the Congregationalists were busy petitioning the
crown for additional land grants, ultimately obtaining some 4,000 acres
before they left Mass in Jan. 1697.

I found some confusion in the use of the term "lots" at Dorchester.  The term
seems to have applied both to the farms, and then to the town lots.

Dane Bowen in Alexandria, Va., researching Bowen, Bacon, Carlton (Carleton),
Luker, Sanders (Saunders), Chaudoin (Chaudoins), Maverick, Richey (Ritchie,
Richie, Ritchey), Spence, Sumner, Way, and Wells families.