Re: Way Book on CD Disk: Correct Date of the Way Arrival in SC

After sending off my last e-mail, it occurred to me that I misspoke about the graves of the Ways at Old Copp's Hill in Boston's north end.  I recounted how I found the grave of Lt. Richard Way's wife, Katheron Way, who died in 1689, and how since the two Mather ministers of Aaron Way, Sr., are buried there, and since Aaron, Sr., just across the river at his farm, he and his wife must be buried there also.  As indicated in my Way book and by others, the widow of Aaron Way, Sr, Mary née Sumner Way, accompanied her children and their families as well as two of her Sumner brothers, including Deacon Increase Sumner, and their families to SC----on the voyage in the early in 1697 to SC. I have the impression that much later some Sumners returned to Mass. where the Sumners were to be about the most prominent family of the area.  I know of no Ways who returned to Mass.

Everything you quoted above was about the first scouting trip, to look over the situation and to decide where to settle, even acquire land.  They couched it in terms of "the church" and even preached up on the Ashley River, saying it was the first time the Gospel had been taken to SC even though there was already by then in Charleston an Anglican church, a Huguenot church, and even a Congregational church!

One hundred and fifty-eight Congregationalist left Boston in Jan. 1697 arriving in SC on Feb. 22, 1697. On Mar. 23, 1697 they drew lots at Dorchester, SC, to divide up the land.

In my Way book you will see footnotes of the records of the First Church of Dorchester, Mass, and of Paul M. McIvaine.  I read in various other sources which I may not have cited.

Dane Bowen in Alexandria, Va., researching Bowen, Bacon, Carlton (Carleton), Luker, Sanders (Saunders), Chaudoin (Chaudoins), Maverick, Richey (Ritchie, Richie, Ritchey), Spence, Sumner, Way, and Wells families.